Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

I recently replaced the MB in my Gateway with an ASUS P4S800D-X MB and every once in a while I get an overclocking failure during a cold boot, this only happens during cold boots.... I'm not even overclocking it. Why would I be getting overclocking failures when I'm not even overclocking? This happens a couple times a week. I have stopped shutting it down, I restart a couple times a day and go to stantby at night.

I have a 2.5GHz P4, 2x256 MB PNY RAM (that is compatable with this MB), GeForge 5200 FX Video card. I also have all the latest drivers and BIOS for the MB and other hardware.

I did contact ASUS support, and all they said is replace the memory, I guess I'm not satisfied with their answer and thought I would see what others have to say.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

Asus may be right. The memory timing settings in your BIOS may be shall we say aggressive. Possibly because your motherboard BIOS is autodetecting the memory and using the information it finds on the memory chips themselves. But then the memory may have a bit of an inflated opinion about its abilities. PNY is not the highest-regarded brand out there.

Way to test this is to reboot and go into BIOS Setup and look at the memory settings. Check your motherboard manual for instructions on going into setup and finding your memory settings. If the BIOS is in fact detecting and timing memory automatically, you can choose manual timing and then set the timing slower. For RAM this means bigger numbers. For example if your CAS is now 2.5 set it down to 3.

If slowing down the memory timing does not work then you have a different issue.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

Any custom BIOS settings that may interfere with the POST process? I get these occasionally - but know that the problem is with the settings that I've chosen for my mobo.

Google for MemTest, download it, extract it to a floppy/CD and then run it to check the memory for errors.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

#5 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

Dave, ASUS did tell me to look at the memory info in the BIOS and make sure that the CAS reported in the BIOS matches the memory but all the BIOS says about the memory is that I have 512MB. I guess I'll dig a little deeper.

usasma, the only thing I have changed in the BIOS is the boot priority, it had the HDD before the CD and I like having the CD first. I'll look in to a memory test.

Thanks for the links, Enthusiast.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the links Enthusiast! I've lost my favorites/bookmarks.

In order to check the CAS Latency you'll have to enter the BIOS when the computer first starts up (by pressing the "Del" key). In there (usually under Advanced) you'll be able to find the memory settings.

All the memory test does is run a series of numbers through your memory and then checks it for errors. Generally it's best to run the test overnight - but at least 2 hours should give you a fairly accurate idea of any errors.

Although some will say that a few errors are ok - my thoughts are "How many errors are acceptable when you're balancing your checkbook?"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

I found it in the BIOS, it was in the advance/chipset settings/northbridge. And everything was set to auto except for CAS Latency which was set to "by SPD". The other choices are 2, 2.5, and 3, I set it to 3.
I'll see if this helps, I should know soon, it's fairly consistant at every other cold boot. If it still does it, I'll look in to new memory, or if the memory test fails.

Thanks!

#8 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:35 AM

Update.

So far no more overclocking failure messages. I also ran a memory test many times and had no errors. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users