Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with latest update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 john427

john427

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

Perhaps you can help. On vacation for 1 week. Come home turn on Dell PC with win8.1 Many updates available. 190mb or so. I click to download and install. Then prompted to restart. Do and get screen requesting a startup password. Pc is 5 mlnths old. I am only one to ever use. I never set a admin password. Never saw this before. Call Microsoft they transfer me to dell support. They do 30 minutes of tests. Tell me hardware is ok. Transfer me to dell software support. They want either $239 or $129 to tell how to over come this. I refuse. They offer to do it for a special price of $89. I refuse. They will not help
without me paying. All I could learn from them was I need to recover the built in administror password with command prompts so we can over ride it. I am very upset that dell seems to be stopping me from accessing my own pc. Everything i tried in advance recovery options goes to page requesting admin password. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

Not sure if you lost your Logon Password , or if one was set ? Win 7 / 8 think its mandatory to do so anyway.

And Admin Password most dont setup anyway , yet i do for these reasons that may occur.

Just read another post that may assist you   JOHNC_21 Quote:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593606/i-have-forgotten-my-user-password/

You could also possibly if you have recently backed up all your data previously....use "Restore to Factory" Condition if the PC has a recovery partition.

The Dell Site would asssist you to do that with Make and Model required prior to instructions.

If you follow this procedure - you will lose all previous Data on the drive.

#3 john427

john427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Pc is asking for "startup password". Not my logon.
Thanks for link. Found reference to " hidden admin. Acct"
Dell tech told me their software automatically sets a password and now they want $ to override it.
All my recovery attempts end with my pc requesting the "startup password".

Please read my original post above. Thanks for any suggestions.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

There are two different types of Windows 8.1 passwords.  The Microsoft Account password (used to access the Windows Store), and the Local Computer Account (Startup password).

Did you set up a Microsoft Account?  If you did you must install a password for this.  If you did, you can change that password online.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128765/EN#Account-Types

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

I have a feeling it may be a Bios Password required ? , then any Dell Repair Shops could reset that in 5 Minutes after the Owner has proved they own the Unit.

May need more info from OP.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have a feeling it may be a Bios Password required ?

I never set a admin password

Everything i tried in advance recovery options goes to page requesting admin password

It looks like this is the Admin Password, not a BIOS Password.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Havachat [#5] - some [but not all] computer's BIOS has an admin-level, a setup-level, user-level password-tier.  Don't know what UEFI has.  IF this is what's holding OP hostage -- computer, with receipt, a local pc/notebook shop - good solution?

Edited by RolandJS, 19 October 2015 - 10:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

One of the Advance Recovery Options is Command Prompt.

Open the Elevated Command Prompt and copy and past the following command, then press Enter.

control userpasswords2

This will open the User Accounts.

Remove the check from the User must enter user name and password to use this computer box.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

pword_zpslgz4uyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users