Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux dual boot questions...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ayeron911

ayeron911

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

I want to dual boot to Linux so I run the graphical install and go to set my partition to bootable and it keeps saying bootable flag off and won't change. Is there another way to do this so I can allow my system to boot from more then one partition(I say this because it would not let me change the bootable drive to non bootable as well) and of course I appreciate any help from you guys and if anything sounds wrong or out to lunch.

Edit * forgot to mention dual booting with Windows 10

Edited by ayeron911, 17 October 2015 - 06:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

Can you give some pc specs and use Speccy if you can, but not absolutely needed.  PC Brand and Model?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Or while in LiveLinuxDVD Open the terminal Copy Paste this into Terminal inxi -Fxz  Copy and Paste the outcome here.

Not sure what you mean by "graphical install"  Do you mean you are booting from a LiveLinuxDVD or USB and Clicking on "Install"?

Please be very careful as you can loose your current install, wait for some help once you get your specs put here.

Edited by pcpunk, 17 October 2015 - 08:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

1. Firstly, you must have some kind of backup for your system as these things can backfire.  At the least a Recovery Media Set, or/and, a good Drive Image backup of some kind.  If you don't have these you could easily loose your Windows 10 Install.

2. I will leave you with this to read, BUT!, you should wait for some assistance if you don't want to take a chance and loose your current install.

http://www.bytelinux.com/install-linux-mint-17-1-dual-boot-windows-10-uefi-systems/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

Try disabling fast boot on Windows, I encountered issues on my fathers laptop and all were related to windows being under fast boot mode.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 ayeron911

ayeron911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

I have tried without fast boot. Also with and without csm (gets me into the boot disc) and secure mode off. But it freezes every time it tries to load the live cd. I have tried two distros. Both lock up accept one lets me load the actual install but I have not done it yet. I have a partition set aside and everything for it and know where to select it. But when it installs grub boot loader am I going to be able to just switch CSM mode on and off to switch from Windows 10 and Linux?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

Here is something that may help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/246409/dual-booting-in-csm-mode

Use a distro known for supporting UEFI such as Ubuntu or Manjaro, also make sure your burns are of good quality.

What distro are you trying to install and what software are you using for your burn process?

Also you may want to consider buying a thumbdrive, not only is it good to have when using linux but it makes a good medium to boot from if things go pear shaped, they are more reliable then burning a disc as well as burning failures can happen.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 October 2015 - 10:21 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 ayeron911

ayeron911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

I have tried booting from USb. Screen just goes black. Trying to load Kali right now. I would rather use usb. I used unetbooten to make the image on it. Should I try a different one?

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

Ah Kali, by some reading it doesnt do uefi so well.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

What OS was on there before?

It might be a Graphics problem post up your specs.

You might have to many Primary Partitions, post up a screenshot of your partitions.  Or a Speccy.

Do you know if you have GPT?

Are you using a 64bit distro?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 ayeron911

ayeron911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:13 AM

I'm ok with having to run The whole thing in legacy mode if it means running Linux. Even Ubuntu won't run for live or install in csm and non csm.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:07 AM

It might be a Graphics problem post up your specs.

You might have to many Primary Partitions, post up a screenshot of your partitions.  Or a Speccy.

Do you know if you have GPT?

Are you using a 64bit distro?

Good call PC

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users