Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What has happened?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Just got through having to deal with my laptop being reset, because Toshiba needed to, for repairs to a hinge.
I thought I was backing up my laptop properly, on a monthly basis. Then when I couldn't get the external hard drive to expel to the laptop, I sent it out & they us d the old external, assigned to the older laptop that I transfered files from originally.

Here is the issue, I can't even use the start menu in the startup to find files or programs. It won't start windows Explorer so I can download Firefox. Then, when I go to shutdown, it won't because "task manager " is keeping it from doing so, unless I click on the "force shutdown" mode.

What could be doing this? The laptop was working real well, before this fiasco, involving Toshiba.

Did I unknowingly let on a virus? I know that when I was dumping Norton, anti virus, for Microsoft Security Essentials, And was trying to download load Malware bytes, I inadvertently shut off the virus protection on the supposed Malwarebytes site; which it wasn't. Then I thought I got all that crap off, by going through the real Malwarebytes & erasing all of those 20 something PUP FILES. But maybe, I damaged a component that allows Windows 7 to do its thing?

Also, is there some sort of Windows 7 mystery virus, that has the operating system attacking itself? That no one knows what it is & there is NO cure for it, but to completely erase & start over?

Thanks for reading, hopefully there is someone with the magic to this problem?

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

Malware...is seldom responsible for the day-to-day problems which users report for a given system...IMO...at least not directly.

It's the user habits (or non-habits) which seem to account for many of the situations which I have seen portrayed...including malware situations which occurred because of user disinterest in system protection, backing up, and general system security and maintenance.

Soooo...I would not look for a "mysterious" answer to what may be wrong with your system...especially since you seem to pinpoint problems occurring after you had packed the system off to Toshiba.

So let's start with the basics.

Can you boot into safe mode?

System model?

Do you have a backup made and stored off the system?

Do you have Toshiba recovery disks or is there a recovery partition on the system which you can access?

Louis

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

Louis, thanks for the reply. I did the lazy man's way & went to a repair shop. They told me it was due to corrupt files. 1st off however, I didn't back up properly. I should have clicked "let me choose" instead of "recommended".
Keeping up on all this stuff requires endulging the fine print & if not doing it all the time, there is the room forgetting.

Maybe there are tutorials on backing up & doing the periodic back ups, as My intention was; but wasn't doing it correctly.

I just can't believe what these guys did to me at Toshiba. I figured that a physical fix didn't have to mess with the data or operating system? Yet they did; wiped it clean. They did put on a whole new screen & top however. I wonder if it was due to the Apple sticker, my wife put on the lid, led them to going the extra bit?

It is. Toshiba Satellite L55, Windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks again for looking on, and I am certainly open for advice.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

Let's try to look at some data :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users