Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from USB - ASUS Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DDoksa

DDoksa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hello all.  Looking for a little help.  

I have an Asus desktop computer that started blue screening after a windows update this morning.  I rebooted in safe mode and it attempted to revert back before the updates.  However, it froze.  I let it sit for hours before turning it off via the power button.  Now when I turn it on, after the windows loading screen I just get a black screen.  Nothing there but my mouse pointer.

I ran a windows repair disk and all options came back with no problems.  So, I decided to do a reinstall.  I downloaded a windows install on another computer and put it on a USB flash drive with the windows 7 USB DVD tool to make the drive bootable with the .iso file.

My issue is that I cannot get my PC to boot from USB.  I went into my bios options and the only boot options are hard drive, cd rom, and removable disk.  I moved removable disk to the top of the list and it still just loads to my hard drive and goes to a black screen.  I then disabled boot from HD and CD rom and left only removable disk.  I get "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

Any suggestions on how to get it to boot?  Or another method of reinstalling windows???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

When the screen goes black with the cursor press Ctrl + Alt + Del. Do you get a normal screen.

When tapping F8 do you get Advanced Boot Options? Select Last Known Good Configuration and see if that helps.

Try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and reboot.

To make a bootable iso use Imgburn to create the iso from DVD and Rufus to create a bootable USB. Make sure you opt out of any optional programs Imgburn offers. This computer may have UEFI instead of a regular BIOS. Using Rufus should allow you to boot to a USB flash drive. The boot menu on a ASUS could be Esc or F8 during boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#3 DDoksa

DDoksa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

It allowed me to choose and boot from the USB after pressing F8 and entering advance boot options.  Reinstalling windows now.  I feel like a bit of a noob!

Thank you my friend!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2015 - 03:58 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users