So, a couple of nights ago I turned off my computer at night, (it might be relevant that when i turned it off it installed a pretty large windows update) and when I turned it on the next day, the keyboard and mouse would stop working at the windows log-in screen. Both light up when I turn on the PC but they seem to lose connectivity during the "windows is starting" screen. They're both connected by USB. Also, before the log-in screen shows up on the monitor, there is a lengthy period (15-20 secs) that the screen goes completely black (as if the monitor was off), That didn't happen before. The desktop is a Lenovo ideacentre.
I've read multiple threads with the same problem, tried almost everything people suggested, and my problem persists. This is what I've tried so far:
- Reset CMOS jumper
- Took out CMOS battery
- Switched RAM sticks around and tried turning on with only one stick
- Removed all other peripherals and tried turning on PC only with keyboard connected
- Went into BIOS and checked USB feature; it was already enabled
- Restored default BIOS settings
- My PC doesn't have a ps/2 port, but i used an adaptor to try and use a ps/2 mouse, still nothing
- Cleaned PC thoroughly to make sure there is no dust interfering with any parts
- Tried both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
- Tried safe mode, same problem.
I've also tried multiple combinations of the above in multiple orders.
I'm desperate for help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!