Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wesch87

wesch87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hello I am having serious issues with my desktop. A while back I bought a new R9-270 graphics card and when it arrived it would not work in my computer all the fans and lights came on but no post. So I tried a new PSU that I know is good and still nothing. Eventually I just put the R9 in my fiance's computer and took her R7-260x and everything worked fine for a while. After a few weeks the video card stopped working so I put it in the other pci slot on my mobo and it worked fine again so i just figured the slot burned out or something. So about two weeks ago I ordered a new mobo to replace the aging one which is about 3 years old now. I put the R9 in with the new mobo and everything worked just fine for 2 days then the same problem with it not posting happened again. So then I put the old mobo back in with the R7 and it worked for a week now the old mobo and R7 wont post. So I have even tried putting in a small old v-card, took out the v-card, took out all but one ram stick and alternated them, took out all ram sticks. All with no luck at all. Even with no v-card or ram still no post and no beeps. I dont know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

In another thread somewhere on the 'Net it was discovered the mobo or something important was from time to time grounding out.  Can't remember the details.  Is there a way to check all mountings of mobo and other parts -- to make sure there is no chance of eventual grounding?  Or, maybe a wire going from A to B might be migrating to, touching, G[round]?

Edited by RolandJS, 17 October 2015 - 03:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 wesch87

wesch87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

In another thread somewhere on the 'Net it was discovered the mobo or something important was from time to time grounding out.  Can't remember the details.  Is there a way to check all mountings of mobo and other parts -- to make sure there is no chance of eventual grounding?  Or, maybe a wire going from A to B might be migrating to, touching, G[round]?

It could be the mount for the heatsync. It is so big that it came with its own mounting bracket and I had to take the origional off. The back of the mobo has to have a huge cut out because of this so it could possibly be touching something on the mobo or the case.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

It isn't unheard of.  One encounter was heat triggered when the unit heated up enough to grow between the standoffs, it shorted to the twist screw in the slot.  It took a little trimming of the trace on the board and bolster with a thin wire but the problem went away.

#5 wesch87

wesch87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

It isn't unheard of.  One encounter was heat triggered when the unit heated up enough to grow between the standoffs, it shorted to the twist screw in the slot.  It took a little trimming of the trace on the board and bolster with a thin wire but the problem went away.

Okay today I pulled out my fiancé's mobo which is the same model as mine and put mine in her computer with all of her components and it did the exact same thing. So something is causing the mobos to fry in my computer. I just don't know for sure if its my power supply, the case contacting somewhere, or that massive heatsync. Newegg wont replace the mobo but so far its looking like gigabyte will so I am thinking I will have them replace/fix this one and I will just order a new case, hatsync, and psu. If there are any ideas on how to make sure I am fixing the exact problem please feel free to let me know.

Edited by wesch87, 19 October 2015 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users