Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new pc for university (games design)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 binnerz92

binnerz92

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi, ive been searching for a computer desktop around all the highstreets and have decideded to seek for further help. i know you guys probably get this all the time so any help is needed. i understand computer parts and components slightly above the average person i would say but am far off from a genius. any help at all is welcome and would like to buy the full system.

Laptop or Desktop?

Desktop.

My budget for the new computer is:

around £500 but will go to a maximum of £700 (including screen etc.)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

mostly university work. web browsing maybe some light gaming if possible.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Photoshop, maya, unity and unreal, logisim

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

minecraft but maybe more if possible

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

i usually close but maybe need 3-4 open when doing university work

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

yes but have an external harddrive.

Will you be overclocking?

Probably not but i fear the risk of something happening due to never overclocking anything before.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

wherever is recomended. Was thinking of Ebay but am afraid of being sold shoddy components

How many monitors are you planning to use?

first off 1 eventually could add a second smaller screen

Do you need peripherals? OS?

at the yes moment i have nothing so i am starting from scratch. OS included please

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I was foolish and let my little sister use my laptop.... its now broken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

I forgot to add this i found this system on Ebay, my only question is could this system be upgraded in a few years time? and is the power supply high enough for the computer?

Case : Aerocool GT-RS
Power Supply : Branded EVGA 80+ (Plus) Rated 500W Power Supply
Motherboard : Gigabyte F2A78M-D3H
CPU : AMD A10 7850K APU Quad Core 3.7Ghz (turbo 4.0Ghz) Black Edition
Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Branded Memory
Graphics Card : Geforce GTX 750 TI 2gb (sreen support for DVI / HDMI / VGA connection)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 4 x Rear USB 2 / 2 x Rear USB 3.0 / HDMI / Lan 1000Mbit / HD Sound
Software : Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

#3 anel92

anel92

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

• 1 x Intel CPU Desktop Core i5-4460 (3.2GHz, 6MB,LGA1150) box
  • 1 x Asrock s1150 H81M-HDS R2.0
  • 1 x Toshiba HDD 1TB,7200rpm, 32MB
  • 1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX960 IX OC, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDM

#4 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply i will look into this now and see if I can find a website which will in fact build this for me! Thanks again

#5 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Has anybody any advice on a website i can use to buid the pc i have tried around 5/6 websites currently and the motherboard advised above is not isted on their sites?

#6 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

okay so im taking to mysef alot here but ive found this...

• AOC 23.5 inch monitor(1920x1080) with speakers
  • Intel® Quad Core™ i5-4460 processor
  • 3.20Ghz Haswell CPU
  • 2Tb Western Digital hard drive
  • 8Gb RAM DDR3 1600Mhz
  • Intel® B85 Chipset
  • DVD-RW optical drive
  • Windows 8.1
  • nVidia GTX960 2Gb graphics card
  • Wi-Fi enabled
  • Network Interface: Realtek10/100/1000 LAN
  • 1 year on site warranty
  • 4x USB 3.0 (2 front, 2 rear), 4x USB 2.0 (all rear)
  • 1x DVI-D, 1x VGA, 2x HDMI, 1x RJ-45 port
  • Zoostorm Desktop PC bundle

http://www.very.co.uk/zoostorm-intelreg-coretrade-i5-processor-8gb-ram-2tb-storage-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-2gb-dedicated-graphics-wi-fi-236-inch-monitor-desktop-bundle-black/1460409238.prd

my only worry is this is off just a standard retaier and i know how much they can bump up the prices! With this compete package am i paying way above what i can get elsewhere or is this resonabe?

#7 anel92

anel92

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

You can buy 1TB HDD and 200gb or 120 GB SSD and 16 Gb ram you must buy.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Some of the stuff you want to run has high hardware requirements.  Really beyond what you'd expect to be able to do (at least well) with a £500 PC.  Maya recommends the use of workstation class graphics cards (AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quadro) which go from just quite expensive to very expensive.  I've really no experience of Maya so can't comment too much about it, but some basic reading up I've done suggests it will work on a consumer type graphics card, but gets large performance gains from the workstation cards.  The Unreal recommendations are more like that of a mainstream gaming PC.

Maya - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&product_group=19&release=2016&os=131072&manuf=all&opt=1

Unreal engine development recommendations - https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/12361/what-are-unreal-engine-4s-system-requirements.html

For a build service try Novatech, Aria or Scan. It would be worth speaking to them to see what they suggest with the budget you have available.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

thanks for the replies! I guess i stated £500 as i didnt really look into prices of monitors i guess £800 was my prices for everything (moniter included). Maya is at the moment a less important thing, i can use the computers at university to handle a specified amount of tak, i just want something that i can use most of the applications stated and then upgrade the system to eventualy be better and handle more tasks. i will email the services provided thanks for the help guys!

Edited by binnerz92, 19 October 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

IF you change your mind and go with a laptop:  an external USB/AC-powered cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].

Regardless of what you buy:  add two external USB HDs, free or fee backup/restore software, and do at least bi-monthly backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the advice RolandJS, just going to email the stated wesbites above now, ive decided to give myself a bigger budget i am not just looking at maximum £750 for just the system(am going to order the moniter, keyboard etc with somemoney i have aside).

#12 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

just a quick question... again. is there big diference between AMD and intel processors.

looking at a system online and it uses the "AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core CPU" with what i want to use is the processor viable or would i get better performance from a i5 intel processor?

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

There is a difference.  Intel has faster performance per core, the AMD has more cores, in it's simplest terms.  It's a bit more nuanced than that, tests showing differences between a FX8350 and i5-4 series in various tasks is here.   I think an AMD FX 8350 would probably be quite a good choice for your uses as it does well in highly multithreaded applications (like rendering programs), and offers good value for money.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

Some of the stuff you want to run has high hardware requirements.  Really beyond what you'd expect to be able to do (at least well) with a £500 PC.  Maya recommends the use of workstation class graphics cards (AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quadro) which go from just quite expensive to very expensive.  I've really no experience of Maya so can't comment too much about it, but some basic reading up I've done suggests it will work on a consumer type graphics card, but gets large performance gains from the workstation cards. 

That's what Autodesk recommends, because of course you should use a workstation level card...for work. I went through the same major as the OP and you do not need a high-end, or even a midrange card. Just about any recent enough card will be fine, as long as it is not too old.

The reason is that, until you approach the end of your course, you won't be using the computer's resources for much in Maya. A lot of assignments will be easy for the computer the process, some of the homework they will give the OP they have been teaching students since 1996!

If this a "light-gaming/maya student" computer I would not put too much money into the GPU. OP can always upgrade later, and use the school computers for intensive work, like rendering. Get a video card based on the Unreal engine's recommendations, not Maya's. Maya lives in a whole different world.

#15 binnerz92

binnerz92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

so after searching for a system for last hour i am swaying towards this, if you guys think this system will be good enough i will purchase tomorrow its priced at £758 on scan.co.uk....

Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Black, Steel/Plastic, 210x430x497 (WxHxD in mm), 2x USB 3, Headphone & Mic includes Corsair 550W PSU
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0, AMD 970 Chipset
AMD Processor - AMD FX 8350 BE, Vishera, 4GHz Eight Core, 16MB Cache
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 1600MHz, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.5V
Graphics Card - 2GB XFX Radeon R7 370 DD, 1040MHz GPU, 1024 Streams, 5800MHz GDDR5
Solid State Drives - 120GB Kingston ssdNow V300, Read 450MB/s, Write 450MB/s
Hard Disk Drives - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 64MB Cach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users