Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Ghost Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

If I clone a primary HDD with Norton Ghost and a bit later my primary drive fails, can I just make the clone my primary and be able to boot from it and have my system just like it was the day I cloned it?

This is what I've always assumed, but I guess I'm not really sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

Where are you cloning it to? Another hard disk, DVD, or an external drive? I always clone my drive -as an image file - to an external hard disk.

What version of Ghost are you using?
JC

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

I'm using Norton Gohst 2003.

I'm cloning it on to a second internal HDD and disconnecting it after it's done... Sorry, I should have made that clear.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

If you are ghosting the main disk to another physical drive, as you described, you should be recover from a failure from a physical disk crash, or another disk related issue. If you using the option to clone disk to disk, and you have a disk issue, you could swap the physical connections and be fully functional again.

Like I mentioned before, I use the disk to image file option, utilizing an external drive. I do this since I have a network full of computers that I need to make images of. To recover from an issue that I need to restore the Ghost image, I have to use the ghost boot disk.

With home computers, I would still suggest that data backups be done on a regular basis with a USB thumb drive, or DVD/CD(not using ghost). It really depends on how important you data is to you.

Hope that helps,
JC

#5 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Joshuacat,
I do backup important things on to CD, I just like the thought of being able to just plug in another HDD and have things back to the way they were if I do have a harddrive failure.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users