Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about moving files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

I am posting in Vista because that is what I am using, but I think this applies to all Windows.

When Windows movies files from a source to a target, does it delete the source file as it is moving it, or does it delete the source file only after the whole file is completely moved?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

I am posting in Vista because that is what I am using, but I think this applies to all Windows.

When Windows movies files from a source to a target, does it delete the source file as it is moving it, or does it delete the source file only after the whole file is completely moved?

Actually it depends of the source and destination, if both are to the same drive Windows will only change the file location on "the index" of the drive, when moving to a different drive Windows will try to delete the source file only after copying the file to the destination.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yes, as sleepydude stated, when moving to another drive, you are actually doing a copy and delete.  When moving within a single drive, the file is not physically moved, but the index entry pointing to the file is changed to reflect the "new" location.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:46 PM

However, I have seen files disappear before, large ones, especially if you are doing a ton of different file moving at the same time (in separate pastes) and windows is freezing up etc.

So in cases of large or many files across drives, I only copy and paste and then go back and delete the originals after I compare the files. (But if it's only a few files, or small files, or basically files on the same drive, then I will trust cut and paste because it's so fast in those cases)

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

I can't say I've ever had files disappear on me...even when moving many Gb, or many files at the same time.  

You can also highlight the files you want to move and go to 'edit' > copy to folder or 'edit' > move to folder instead of copy/paste.  I've never had an issue with this method.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#6 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

Some time in between some of the above posts, I posted a response (or I thought I did) and thanked you all.  Somehow it didn't take.  Anyway, yes, separate drives, is what I meant.

I think also what sparklestar means, is not just copy one big group of files, but to start copying one group, then a separate group at the same time while the first group(s) are still going.  I never do that anyway.  It even sounds like asking for trouble, lol.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

I think also what sparklestar means, is not just copy one big group of files, but to start copying one group, then a separate group at the same time while the first group(s) are still going.  I never do that anyway.  It even sounds like asking for trouble, lol.

If you do this on a regular basis I suggest you use a File Manager like Multi Commander free it uses a queue to add several file operations, when you click Start all of them are executed in order, you can pause transfers at any time and have a very good control over the operations...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users