Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I delete these files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

I recently upgraded from Vista and wondered if these files could safely be deleted?' Files discarded by Windows upgrade' and 'Windows upgrade log files'. If so it would give me over 2.5GB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yes, you can delete those files.

It can be done either manually or by using the built in Windows Disk Cleanup tool.

Just in case:
Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup.

Right click on Disk Cleanup and choose Run as administrator.

Make sure the correct drive is chosen.

Click OK to start the scan. Be patient while it scans.

When the scan completes check the boxes for things to delete. Anything listed is safe to delete.
Note the amount of space which can be freed if deleting everything it finds.

Click OK.

If you have a Windows old folder, it will also delete it. Windows old is created when doing a clean install from a disk. In it will be such things as pictures, documents, favorites, music, etc. from your Vista. Before deleting anything, if you did a clean install, make sure there is nothing in Windows old to be copied back to pictures, documents, etc.

After disk cleanup is done, the files should be gone. You can check to make sure they are.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 October 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead and delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users