Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile data recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steen4

Steen4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

I'd been having quite a problem with Windows lately: upon startup, the "System" process would eat up 100% of one of my cores, and nearly freeze my system for several minutes. After failing to pin down the root of the problem, I decided to uninstall Avast antivirus & Comodo Firewall, reinstall my drivers, and do a diagnostic startup. I had to uninstall Comodo in safe mode, and I used the Add/Remove panel to get rid of Avast. Finally, I used Avastclear to finish wiping Avast. Afterwards, I reinstalled my Graphics, North & South bridge, processor, & lan drivers. After rebooting, everything seemed to be just fine - there was no more CPU spiking, so I went to the full startup option, and when I logged into my account, my desktop was gone. Everything. The wallpaper, my desktop links & files, all my chrome personalization & bookmarks, all of the items on the quickstart bar, all of the dates I had entered into my desktop calendar - everything! Notepad and Windows Explorer had even vanished from the Start Menu! Also, all of my Quicken backup files disappeared. *Sigh* So, I used the search function for the files, which did not turn up. I checked all the folder options to ensure everything was visible. I then used recuva to see whether anything would turn up that way. Nothing. No entries for ANY file I was looking for. It's like the files never existed. I even tried to use system restore to get back to my previous miserable computer state, but the earliest system restore point was just after my system got all screwed up (despite me using the maximum memory for it - go figure). It seems completely ludicrous that all my info has utterly vanished without even a deleted file entry left behind in the MFT. Can I still recover at least some of my data? I'm not really worried about Chrome, since I can recover most of, if not all, of that by signing into the browser, but my Quicken data is going to drive me bonkers, especially since I backed up my info frequently. My thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Backup, Image, Disk Management Sotware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

I think your problem related to uninstalling avast with avastclear. avast uses virtual machine technology called NG that uses System Restore space to create a virtual environment. It's possible something happened when NG was cleared. There have been issues with it but I can't tell you if you can get you data back. Read through this thread.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165839.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166697.0

I suggest you do a scan with Minitools Data Recovery and see if that finds anything.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-power-data-recovery-free/

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2015 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users