Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 updates on a metered connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

Are win 10 users on a metered connection being punished about updates if your not shareing your connection with other computers.

Will windows updates not install at all over a metered connection.?  Or will they just be real slow and many of them fail.

While I am at it what is Microsoft Pictures.  I have 15 failed updates and I can't even find that program on my system anywhere.

Thank you.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

If you have a metered connection, it depends on who is charging you and how they measure what they're charging you for.

In most cases I'd say "Yes" they are charging you to download updates.

A metered connection is not necessarily a slow connection (although IME most of them are)

But Windows is robust enough to deal with slow connections - as long as the connection isn't disrupted while it's working.

As for Microsoft Pictures, I have no idea of what it is - and Google and Bing searches don't know it either.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

Yes Microsoft pictures does not seem to exist on my computer or on the web either.  I searched myself.

Yet redmund thinks it exists because they send out updates for it.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Are win 10 users on a metered connection being punished about updates if your not shareing your connection with other computers.

Will windows updates not install at all over a metered connection.?  Or will they just be real slow and many of them fail.

While I am at it what is Microsoft Pictures.  I have 15 failed updates and I can't even find that program on my system anywhere.

Thank you.

If you set your connection as metered, updates will not download from the internet automatically and you have to go to Windows Update in Settings manually to allow the download, but if you have a computer that is not set as metered, and you turn on Windows Update P2P, it will transfer updates.

Metered connection is if you pay for the amount of internet you use (but usually it is for mobile networks, not typically ISP ones as ISP have much higher limits like 250 GB), so Windows will try to reduce your internet usage.

-CKing123

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

When you say 'Microsoft pictures' do you mean the Windows Picture viewer ?  I thought this was still an integral part of the Win 10 OS but it may be yet another feature that has become an App Store app. In which case i would suggest you download and install Irfanview and its plug-ins, a free download from -

www.irfanview.com

I use it intensively - apart from anything else it knocks the pants off the built-in Windows viewer for performance and capabilities.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

I think it might be an App. I never opted in, but I have it on my computer.

7XE3qMw.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

That's an app.

My advice stands - Irfanview. I cannot guarrantee it works on Win 10 but it certainly works on 8.1

Chris Cosgrove

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

Irfanview works great, as always, on Win 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users