Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free firewall with good HIPS?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:02 AM

I'd been happily using Comodo firewall for several years until I couldn't clean install version 8 (Comodo security agent could not be started). I then switched to Online Armor but this is now being discontinued. I've tried Private firewall but that causes problems too.

Can anyone suggest a free firewall that has HIPS as good as these firewalls? I'm currently using Zone Alarm firewall but I understand its protection isn't as good. For instance it fails the Shields Up ping request test.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:22 AM

IMO firewalls with HIPS are overrated. Safe surfing is more important than relying on a piece of software that throws way too many alerts.

5 Reasons why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls

If those options above did not work for you then there are no other free options AFAIK. HIPS firewalls are pretty limited in choice, both free and paid.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

Other security vendors agree...General Information regarding the Avira products

...Since it was launched the Windows Firewall has been technically continuously improved and optimized. Today the Windows Firewall offers such good protection, Avira thinks there is no need to develop and maintain its own firewall solution...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was never that impressed with the firewall that came with Vista but now I've (finally) upgraded to W7 the firewall seems a fair bit better. I'm currently using Zone Alarm, not because it's any better than Windows firewall but because it's easy to use and seems fairly light on my PC. Might ditch it and use Windows firewall soon.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:47 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was never that impressed with the firewall that came with Vista but now I've (finally) upgraded to W7 the firewall seems a fair bit better. I'm currently using Zone Alarm, not because it's any better than Windows firewall but because it's easy to use and seems fairly light on my PC. Might ditch it and use Windows firewall soon.

Since Windows Vista, the XP Windows firewall has been replaced with a technology called Windows Filtering Platform: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Filtering_Platform

A big advantage for many users is that this WFP comes with an API, giving third parties the opportunity to develop different user interfaces for the firewall.

An example is BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

This is not a firewall, but a new interface that allows you to configure the Windows Firewall (WFP) in a different way than the default Windows' interface.

There are a couple of other third party applications besides Windows Firewall Control.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 22 October 2015 - 07:39 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the Binisoft link. One of my main reservations with WF was it seemed fairly complex but that looks like it makes it much easier to configure.

Edited by n01paranoid, 27 October 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#8 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

On the subject of Comodo, I don't think they know what they're doing when it comes to security. I wouldn't use any of their products.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887632/secure-advertising-tool-privdog-compromises-https-security.html

#9 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

free with good HIPS, only Comodo's FW (the one im using ) or Private Firewall.

Comodo must be tweaked heavily to guarantee maximum protection, definitely not a tool for beginners (anyway beginners shouldn't use HIPS)

Emsisoft Community Manager

#10 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

I have been using Agnitum Outpost Firewall since its inception and it is easy to use and has protected my systems for years.  There is also another Windows Firewall Control at http://www.sphinx-soft.com/ that works with Windows 7/8.1/10.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

A few more tools.

#12 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Jetico Personal FW is already two weeks for free

http://www.jetico.com/products/personal-privacy/personal-firewall/

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users