Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux works with Bibleworks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

Someone just posted this link in my frankforum, but it seems better it be posted here, re the versions of Bibleworks which can be made to run on versions of Wine in Linux.  The WineHQ link was provided, and you can click here to access it directly.

I've not yet installed any of my Bibleworks versions on Linux, so cannot vouch for the claim.  Since it's an academic's dream software (especially for exegetes and pastors), I thought it would be important to put the link here, so someone can find it in BC.

There are posts in the Bibleworks forums also on this topic, especially with reference to Ubuntu installation, here.  So you can see there is a great deal of interest, and eventually someone in BC will want a ready list.

When I get a chance to install it (I have versions 5, 8, 9 and the rules for installation are per user, not per machine so there is no limit on the number of machines nor on the Linux being internal) -- then I too will report.

Finally, if someone objects to this topic, please delete it.  I have copied this post in frank forum, again so people can search the web and find it.  This topic is not meant to discuss religion or faith at all, but merely Windows Bible exegesis (i.e., for the Hebrew and Greek mss, which are now shown in facsimile) software that many in academia use, which surprisingly can run in Linux.

Edited by brainout, 17 October 2015 - 03:09 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

You know about

Ubuntu Christian Edition -- Linux For Christians

Edited by NickAu, 17 October 2015 - 03:00 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Actually its almost become defunct, it still has a Ubuntu 12.04 base.

If you are that serious about bible studies then try Xiphos, its updated on a regular basis and is moving to gtk3 .

Here is a page on installation on Ubuntu/Mint: http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-xiphos-4-0-2-on-ubuntu-15-04-ubuntu-14-10-ubuntu-14-04-and-derivative-systems/

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 October 2015 - 03:18 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

Hey brainy

if you or your friends are interested in a Linux Distro that has a Christian spin on it, then

Liquid Lemur - http://liquidlemurlinux.org/

... may  be the go

Currently ranked at No. 73 at Distrowatch, and anything in the top 100 or more is worth a look.

Cheers

:wizardball:

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:58 AM

Hrm? Liquid Lemur is a windowmaker distro, there isnt anything suggesting its a christian distro.

Its as secular as most distros or other operating systems.

Might as well suggest the also defunct Ubuntu Satanic edition or Sabily the distro meant for Muslims (or the more current Helal Linux) 

I personally was going to make a Ubuntu Flying Spaghetti Monster edition but plans fell through once the christian edition stopped development

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:08 AM

I personally was going to make a Ubuntu Flying Spaghetti Monster edition

Hey why not? everybody is doing it.

Hannah Montana Linux | Desktop Linux Reviews

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

I personally was going to make a Ubuntu Flying Spaghetti Monster edition

Hey why not? everybody is doing it.

Hannah Montana Linux | Desktop Linux Reviews

Yeah but it is a parody distro (as was Satanic edition actually, it wasnt a serious distro)

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

@MadmanRB, @NickAu

Hrm? Liquid Lemur is a windowmaker distro, there isnt anything suggesting its a christian distro.

Madman, perhaps you did not read the link I posted, or I have read it wrongly. It says, in part:

cmpA0RF.png

I did not say it was a Christian Distro, I said it had a Christian spin (off?).

People can make of that what they like, and my input was In Topic with the OP's subject matter.

BTW it is "halal", not "helal".

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Technically all Ubuntu based distros are just " Windowmaker" distros.  Take Ubuntu and skin it, add or remove a few features and you have a distro. As long as these so called spin-offs get their updates from Ubuntu to me they are Ubuntu.

Ubuntu one distro to rule them all.

I did not say it was a Christian Distro, I said it had a Christian spin (off?).

Yes you did.

People can make of that what they like, and my input was In Topic with the OP's subject matter.

Yes you are on topic.

Edited by NickAu, 20 October 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#10 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

Wow, guys, I don't know how I missed all your great posts.  Lemme read and get back to you on what you said.  Thank you!

FYI, I'll post this thread in Bibleworks, as many there will be interested, and will post it in frankforum as well (that place is turning into heavy theological stuff in Hebrew and Greek, faster than I expected).  Thank you again!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thank you both, Madman and Nick, for these posts.  I went to Bibleworks and directed them here.  Oddly enough, the Bibleworks people like using other versions besides Bibleworks, so they don't consider it competitive.  The xiphos software, I was unaware of, but I used to know folks in the Sword project, so this will be an interesting addition for many.  There's also theWord software, which I also have, but don't use.

What distinguishes Bibleworks are the facsimiles of the manuscripts.  The actual old Bible manuscripts from which our translations come.  So often the translations are wrong.  REALLY wrong.  So then the question is, what about the transcriptions from the originals?  Are the transcriptions wrong too?  So to have live photos of the originals is important.  I'm that kind of geek.  Not at all the religious type, and most who subscribe to me are of the same mien.

Many will find your posts helpful, as I've about 1000 subscribers between Youtube and vimeo, and all of them are geeky enough to be willing to learn Linux. THANK YOU!

Actually its almost become defunct, it still has a Ubuntu 12.04 base.

If you are that serious about bible studies then try Xiphos, its updated on a regular basis and is moving to gtk3 .

Here is a page on installation on Ubuntu/Mint: http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-xiphos-4-0-2-on-ubuntu-15-04-ubuntu-14-10-ubuntu-14-04-and-derivative-systems/

Edited by brainout, 26 October 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#12 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hey brainy

if you or your friends are interested in a Linux Distro that has a Christian spin on it, then

Liquid Lemur - http://liquidlemurlinux.org/

... may  be the go

Currently ranked at No. 73 at Distrowatch, and anything in the top 100 or more is worth a look.

Cheers

:wizardball:

Thank you, Wiz!  I don't select a distro based on 'Christian', but maybe some of my subscribers will.

Edited by brainout, 26 October 2015 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users