Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping Spikes - (Not occurring in Safe Mode)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chiki

Chiki

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

If I'm not receiving ping spikes when pinging a server in safe mode but I am in normal boot, does that mean a program, driver or malware could be causing this issue?

I have ran virus scans with Malwarebytes and nothing is being detected which leads me to think its a program or driver but I'm still not ruling out that it may be an infection.

How do I go about singling out the problem?

The issue is present when playing World of Warcraft where my ping eventually climbs from 40 to 100+ (doesn't feel like 100 ping - feels higher) after a few minutes of gameplay.

Also in League of Legends where my ping is all over the place and unstable.  

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

Why are you pinging the website so many times?

The packets being sent are all being returned, so I don't see a problems with this.  The difference in the in the time could simply be because of the use occurring at the website.

When you are trying to ping in Safe Mode, are you using Safe Mode with Networking?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:16 AM

Yes, Safe Mode with Networking.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

Please answer my other question.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:49 PM

I pinged it continuously for 26 ticks in normal boot to see if there was a pattern.
And 24 ticks in safe mode to see if it was spiking at all - to which it wasn't.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

If you are pinging the same website, especially a popular one, slowness can attributed to heavy traffic at the site.  Bear in mind that the time is being measured in Milliseconds.  That is 0.001 seconds.

#7 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

What you're saying is true but when the spikes start to roll in is when my ping starts to climb and settle at 100+, so the high ping you're seeing there isn't just from some random heavy traffic. This is only a recent thing too so I'm guessing something has changed on my computer. If the server had high traffic then everyone would be lagging but this is occurring across multiple games so I can rule out the traffic side of things on the servers I am on.

Hopefully that clears up my issue.

#8 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

But your test is not scientific enough. You need a better way of testing connection quality (and I don't know that way off the top of my head).

Another problem could be routing; everyone else on the server can have great ping and you have a terrible one, because their connection is not routing through the same path as yours and something on your path has a slowdown. Although I don't get a hunch that that's your problem here. Make sure you aren't running torrents in the background or something?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

You need to take your ISP into consideration as well.

Unless you have a specific problem with this computer I believe you are pretty much chasing shadows.  If there were consistent problems with connecting to the Internet pinging would be a good tool to see how long it is taking and if all of the packets are getting through.  But you are looking for a smoking gun where there isn't one.

#10 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

I've found the problem. There is a executable called rundll32.exe in my C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

Every time I get a ping spike on CMD or in game, the network usage of this program spikes up higher than my download limit. 

Upon ending the process everything returns to normal with no lag at all.

Am I safe to disable this file from running or will removing it/disabling it harm my system?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

The proper file path should be c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe.

If it isn't found there you could be infected.

Do not delete, disable, or mess with the rundll32.exe.  These are needed.

Edited by dc3, 22 October 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#12 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

Well there is one in one my SysWOW64 folder which is creating this problem that I have had for only a few weeks. What can I do?

#13 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

I have that file in the same location as you, I don't think it's a bad file (or if it is then we both have problems).

I think it's actually another program which makes use of (spawns instances of) that dll. So I think you need to figure out what that program is. I think you can use microsoft's process monitor app to find out which exe is running that dll.

#14 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:20 AM

I have that file in the same location as you, I don't think it's a bad file (or if it is then we both have problems).

I think it's actually another program which makes use of (spawns instances of) that dll. So I think you need to figure out what that program is. I think you can use microsoft's process monitor app to find out which exe is running that dll.

That was the perfect answer I was looking for, thank you so much.

I think I've traced it back to Flash Player. Will keep you posted as I have uninstalled it completely and will reinstall it.

EDIT: Flash wasn't the issue even though the ping fluctuation did calm down for a while. 

I think it may be my anti-virus but I have disabled it before and it was still spiking....

The Process Monitor logs are large and I'm trying to link the spike in latency with a time down to the second so I can view what happened at that period in the logs but there are also microseconds or whatever they are called so I can't pinpoint exactly what caused it at that second due to thousands of other processes happening. 

Edited by Chiki, 23 October 2015 - 04:52 AM.

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

If you could run some tests from another computer, and see if they have the same ping issue, then you could rule out (or in) your computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users