Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

I know that bleeping computer recommends it and I went to install it. It said Microsoft up date was not installed and to install it.

Is not Microsoft update part of windows update or is this something else?

Thank you.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

From: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

The Secunia PSI explained

The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in applications on your private PC. Vulnerable programs can leave your PC open to attacks.

Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe.<snip>

If not having a Windows system update installed, that PSI feels leaves you vulnerable, it will advise you it's needed. I personally don't automagically install every Windows update offered. PSI lets me know when I have missed something important in my critique of Windows updates. So it looks like PSI thinks you're missing an important Windows update. Time to investigate that.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

According to windows updates the only ones that failed to install was Microsoft photos. That I can not find anywhere on here or even on the net.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

It said Microsoft up date was not installed and to install it.

What is the exact wording PSI uses. I just reread your post. Is it telling you a specific Microsoft update is not installed? Or is PSI saying the application Microsoft Update is not installed?

I have never seen the phrase Microsoft Update was not installed, used by PSI.

Anyone else?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

After reading your reply I went back to install it and a different page came up looked almost the same as the other one.

I successfully installed Secunia and ran it with no problems.

What I got the first time may have been a redirect to another site pretending to be secunia.

To answer your question on the page a pop up came up saying secunia had to have Microsoft Update installed with a link to install it.

I was suspicious so I exited out of the site.

Your program did say I had 4 programs that needed updateing when I ran Windows up date they downloaded but hung during install.

I forgot I left it running and went to bed.  I got up 5 hrs later it was still trying to install at the same place it was at before.

No progress made at all. I am checking into why now.

This was not from one of BC's provided links but a bing search.

Edited by dannyboy950, 18 October 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

If you are running the latest version of PSI, it is known to be problematic and hang for some people. You may want to find an earlier version.

Glad to know you were able to resolve the 'Microsoft Update' confusion.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users