Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2003 Vs Openoffice.org

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hey, all. I'm going off to a four-year college in the fall. I need an office program. I have Office 2000, but it is my mom's, and your technically not supposed to put it on more than one computer. :thumbsup:

So...I've been looking at Office 2003 Student/Teacher Edition...You can install that on three computers, and you can keep using it after you leave college. However, I have also been looking into OpenOffice.org. It seems like a good deal. However, I have some questions:

Are the file formats compatible with Office 2003? Can I transfer between one and the other? Are there any gaping security holes I should know about? Is OO.o really better?

Its not urgent (I don't go away until mid-August), but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

rms4evr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Open Office can save and create in all MS Office foemat from 4.5(1996) to the most current. Is it better. Not really. From what I have used one is a good as the other. The big diffenece is OO is free and MSO starts at $249.
I have been using OO for years and have not come accross a time when I needed MSO. If it were me? My money? OO all the way.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

I agree with acklan, I've used it for over 2 years. My son 1 full now and we've put it on his laptop for scholl and he has no problems. He likes the Math app and says the Write to him is better. again it is free works well and will handle your MS Office data.

Good luck with school
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Well like they have all been saying OO.o handles just about every MSO format. I find it better than MSO and I have only been using it for a few weeks. It is by far better than MSO and I have never had any problems transfering the files from one computer to another and opening them in MSO. I am not sure if it will always be that way but it is really a good decision to use OO.o and have an older version of office like 98 or 2000 handy just in case.

Good luck with Skewl
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

OO.o is almost completely compatible with MSOffice, with the exception of some long macros and detailed formatting, which most people would not need or use. In addition to a good word processor and spread sheet, you can a Powerpoint clone, and a database (like Access) as well. You can also save any OO.o file as a PDF (no war against Adobe from the open source community).
OO.o does not seem to be riddled with security flaws, so you don't have to worry- - -at least for the present- - -with downloading bunches of patches each month; and the open source community is far faster in offering patches than MS has ever been.

I have also just read that MS is contracting with third parties (of COURSE they will not incorporate the functionality in Office 2007) to allow conversion of Office files to Open Document (which is the structure OO.o uses). This step is to keep their foot in the government sector, which is leaning more and more to an open standard for documentation.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 July 2006 - 04:31 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input, you guys!!! I'm slowly becoming more biased toward open source programs (loyal Firefox user speaking!!! :thumbsup: ). They seem to be better than M$ at many things. While our family will probably still get M$ Office 2003, I think I'll give OO.o a shot! Thanks a bunch!!

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

RMS4evr:

This may be a bit off topic, but just a suggestion: Check to see what your University provides in terms of software. The one I just graduated from provided a LOT of software to use free of charge. Further, the university also provided computer support: more easily had if using programs the university used than if using programs they didn't use. Additionally, if you are enrolled in classes that use computers or accept electronic papers instead of hard copy papers, you'll need to make sure that whatever software you do use, the documents you turn in can open in the programs THEY use. The catch is that when you leave the university environment you're supposed to remove and destroy all the software programs they provided that normally aren't free because of the type of license you have. Of course, in the meantime you can be trying out all the other stuff like OO.o to see if it is what you would want after you graduate :thumbsup: .

Best of wishes in college,

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Just graduated

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 August 2006 - 12:52 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

That is a point well made.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users