Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Upgrade No Option To Opt Out

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

Reports are circulating that some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are claiming that the latest Windows 10 OS has begun to automatically install itself on their PCs.

According to complaints by users, Windows Update screen is only offering them the option to either:

• Start the upgrade process, or
  • Reschedule the upgrade for a later date

Read Full Article Here >>  http://thehackernews.com/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade.html

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2015 - 04:24 PM.
Moved from Gen Sec to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, same article with more info is in Forbes which quotes ArsTechnica and Infoworld.  So those add into the mix with the venerable hackernews.  Thank you for it.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

It was said in these forums a while back, that update KB3035583 was the one to remove and then hide, so that the Win 10 update nagger disappeared from the task bar.

This I did - uninstalled it, then, was careful to note that when it came up again, to hide it.

This was fine up until recently.

I have my Win 7 laptop set on "check on updates but let me choose when to download and install'. This has in fact NOT been happening now, for a couple of months. NO notification about new updates has presented, even though, checking manually reveals many. Anyway, that's another issue.

Yesteday, I manually checked for updates. There were 11 important ones. Being in a bit of a hurry, and being of the view that I had previously delt successfully with the KB3035583 issue, I selected all 11 in one hit, and told it to download and installl.

To my horror, upon restart, THERE was the update nag on my taskbar. I checked what important updates had just been installed, and THERE was KB3035583 - even though I had previously hidden it.

I uninstalled it again. Restarted my computer .. checked updates again .. IT WAS DOWNLOADING ITSELF AGAIN, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT.

I stopped it. Went to check for updates. There it was, under important updates I right clicked on it, and chose 'hide'. I worked on my computer for a while.

A couple of hours later, I turned it back on to do some more work. Decided to 'check for updates'.

THERE, AGAIN, was KB3035583, under important updates. I right clicked and selected 'hide'. I had to do this TWICE again, to make it hidden. That was last night.

As I type this, I'm checking again on my lappie. it hasn't appeared again so far.

And you wonder why I call Win 10 an abomination ?

Look at the angst it created for me, the time that it wasted for me. I could have spent my time and mental energy in happier, more productive things than having to contend with this rubbish, and then, spending another 20 minutes typing this - as I feel duty bound to do.

W 10 = ABOMINATION !!!

I'm so glad I saw all this coming and have taken up Linux !!!

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Right now Microsoft seems to take two steps forward then two steps back. Having just wowed crowds with stunning new hardware and made Windows 10 activation easier, the company has now followed up its admission of forced Windows 10 downloads with confirmation that Windows 10 upgrades have also been performed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 without user permission…

The news follows a report on Ars Technica by Peter Bright that Microsoft changed the ‘Optional’ upgrade status of Windows 10 without any warning. The subtle change simply ticked the box beside the upgrade by default in Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8. This meant an upgrade to Windows 10 would be automatically performed the next time the user installed any Important updates.

On its behalf Microsoft confirmed Ars Technica’s findings, but claims it was an accident:

Article 

Edit:This Forbes link already posted by brainout in post #2.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2015 - 06:53 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#5 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Right now Microsoft seems to take two steps forward then two steps back. Having just wowed crowds with stunning new hardware and made Windows 10 activation easier, the company has now followed up its admission of forced Windows 10 downloads with confirmation that Windows 10 upgrades have also been performed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 without user permission…

The news follows a report on Ars Technica by Peter Bright that Microsoft changed the ‘Optional’ upgrade status of Windows 10 without any warning. The subtle change simply ticked the box beside the upgrade by default in Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8. This meant an upgrade to Windows 10 would be automatically performed the next time the user installed any Important updates.

On its behalf Microsoft confirmed Ars Technica’s findings, but claims it was an accident:

Article 

Edit:This Forbes link already posted by brainout in post #2.

My bolded, above.

Yes, that I think, is pretty much what happened to me, as I wrote on my previous post.

I DO NOT in any way, believe it was accidental on the part of MSFT. I've been around too long to swallow such porkies.

#6 saw101

saw101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

I DO NOT in any way, believe it was accidental on the part of MSFT. I've been around too long to swallow such porkies.

To include, no doubt, unknown thousands of others with an unwanted Win 10 on their computers.

I also don't believe it was merely a simple act of incompetance.

Microsoft should be sued. Perhaps something along the lines of a class action.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

No, saw, you don't want MSFT sued.  Then prices will be higher.  When companies are sued, because they have big revenues, Judges overaward to Plaintiffs, and then to pay off the damages the prices of what the companies sell, go up.  So the user of the product ends up paying for lawsuits.

I'm waiting for some Attorney General to read aka.ms/msa and then go to MSFT to get it removed.  That will remove the telemetry and the forcings, too.  MSFT really isn't thinking.  They are imposing the design of a phone OS onto the desktop, and don't realize the harm they cause.  Yes, all the top brass and the entire legal team should be fired, but that's not a class action lawsuit, and will actually help make the product better.

Edited by brainout, 18 October 2015 - 07:49 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

It's really sad. Either the folks running Microsoft are that stupid, or they think we are. I'm so glad I chose to upgrade, when I chose to, and don't have to mess with all this crap. I can't even imagine your frustration.

Something to consider, jargos, is, that while Win 10 may or may not be an abomination, it's your Win 7 machine that has turned against you. Whatever one may think of the Win 10 EULA, at least we knew what we were getting. Nowhere, before now, was there ever an indication that you'd have to battle, daily, with windows update to keep your current OS. It's just not right.

#9 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

It's really sad. Either the folks running Microsoft are that stupid, or they think we are. I'm so glad I chose to upgrade, when I chose to, and don't have to mess with all this crap. I can't even imagine your frustration.

Something to consider, jargos, is, that while Win 10 may or may not be an abomination, it's your Win 7 machine that has turned against you. Whatever one may think of the Win 10 EULA, at least we knew what we were getting. Nowhere, before now, was there ever an indication that you'd have to battle, daily, with windows update to keep your current OS. It's just not right.

The folk running Microsoft are not stupid. Yes, they think we are, or, better still, they KNOW we are - collectively.

They can afford world class legal representation and advice - and I would bet they have advice to the effect that what they are doing, they can get away with - legally.

It is obvious (to me) they have made a decision to no longer provide a product (an OS) but to change it to a service and make it's USERS the product. I would imagine that the profiles they build on each user, would eventually be a goldmine for them. And they have the numbers on their side, to do this.

Only two options of resistence, as I see it, are;

- As brainout said above, Govenments / legislators putting the brakes on. However, I feel this is unlikely - it is more likely they will be their best customers.

- EXACTLY what we are doing now. Spread the message. Remonstrate. Promote alternatives (aka LINUX). Big changes, historically, has not required majority rule. They've involved passionate, vocal minorities. It happens at the edges. Until, eventually, a critical mass point is reached, and the tide turns. I actually believe we are seeing the nascent steps in this direction. I hope so, anyway.

Edited by jargos, 18 October 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#10 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

As usual, I was in a hurry and missed the point of your second paragraph, now bolded.

Yes, you are correct, and W10 gave full disclosure in it's EULA of it's intention (not that the sheeple would have noticed, but that's another isuue).

The interesting point is, W7 was a PRODUCT I had purchased - for some value, along with the computer when new. They are basically now taking that product and converting it's original intent (to be MY asset)  and using it to sign me up to a service. That's bordering on theft.

Imagine if I sold a thing to someone, and years later, took control of it to manipulate that someone. That really, is what it amounts to.

I'm sure MSFT have the legal bases covered, but the moral ones ?

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:28 PM

Domain-joined PCs also got hit, article by Woody Leonhard, here.

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Ah, but you didn't purchase Win 7. You only bought a license to use it. Like if you rented a beige house and the owner decided to paint it fluorescent purple, you'd have no recourse. Microsoft can do what they will. They only have to inform you. Like this June, when they added the Services Agreement to Win 7 ( and, I suppose 8), they sent me an email informing me and saying that use of the OS, after August 1, was consent.

That's why I didn't join the kerfluffle about refusing to upgrade to Win 10 because of the Services Agreement. I was already bound by it by continuing to use 7.

#13 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

Domain-joined PCs also got hit, article by Woody Leonhard, here.

A very interesting read. Good to see others, far and wide, are also concerned.

#14 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

Ah, but you didn't purchase Win 7. You only bought a license to use it. Like if you rented a beige house and the owner decided to paint it fluorescent purple, you'd have no recourse. Microsoft can do what they will. They only have to inform you. Like this June, when they added the Services Agreement to Win 7 ( and, I suppose 8), they sent me an email informing me and saying that use of the OS, after August 1, was consent.

That's why I didn't join the kerfluffle about refusing to upgrade to Win 10 because of the Services Agreement. I was already bound by it by continuing to use 7.

As I said in my earlier couple of posts, therefore, ain't much option is there ? Other than the latter I indicated in post #10.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:17 AM

Sorry to bother you, leithanne, but I got no such notice.  Do you mean Services Agreement aka.ms/msa, full name http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/ ?  THAT one?

For it says nothing about Windows 7 in it.  Nor about Win8.  Those licenses are separate and do not have aka.ms/msa in their EULAs so it cannot be an addition to Win7 license unless affirmatively stipulated  in either Win7 EULA which would have had to be newly mailed and agreed to (not mere continuing use), or affirmatively stipulated in the aka.ms/msa above, which doesn't show up.

Thank you for your comment and your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users