Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple *manual* disk image backup software?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

I need suggestions on a software where I can manually backup my harddrive to an image file on a USB-drive/portable HDD and manually recover at a later point if something goes wrong with my PC.

I have been using the Acronis True Image 2014 boot CD version which is just what I need (I don't like the 2015 and 2016 editions of the software), however unfortunately for some reason it will not boot on one of my computers so I need to find something else.

Please note I only want to manually backup my harddrive, no automatic scheduled backups and I want the program to operate off a bootable CD, I don't want something installed within Windows.

Preferably something simple without a bunch of fancy features. :-)

Not sure if it matters, but the OS on the computer which I need this software for is Windows XP 32-bit.

Edited by krs000a, 16 October 2015 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

You can use Macrium Reflect Free of Aoemi Backupper Standard. The latest version of Macrium does not allow you to create a linux bootable disk, only WinPE which requires a 1GB download. Aoemi does have a linux boot disk option for recovery only. It also requires a large download on a XP computer. But, I believe you can create a bootable disk if you install the programs on a Windows 7 or 8 computer. Doing this you could create a WinPE disk that should boot on XP and not require a large download.

Both will let you create a disk image manually to a external drive.

Edit: Aoemi's disk image backup is easy to understand.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/disk-backup.html

Edit Edit: Make sure the bootable disk sees all of your disks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 October 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Well...if you "don't want something installed in Windows"...I'd say that's pretty limiting.  The only thing I can think of meeting such qualification would be a linux-based backup program or something analogous.

Backing up is not a simple operation, IMO.  It's very complicated and the current modern software  probably would offer the best complicated software which manages to make users think that backing up is simple.

For a line on the linux-based backup options, others will have to offer details.  I have no familiarity with linux...Windows is all that I can handle :).

Louis

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

Clonezilla!

I use it, works fine for me. It runs linux and does not install anything on your Windows disk, it can run off a CD or USB drive. It is good if you want a "manual" backup software. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

I have used both of these on XP and the install does pretty much nothing to the boot times. They just sit in the background. You could uninstall the main program after creating the WinPE disk. The only linux option I could recommend that would both recover and backup a disk image using a CD is Clonezilla but that takes a bit of a learning curve to use.

Gorbulan beat me to it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 October 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

I have used both of these on XP and the install does pretty much nothing to the boot times. They just sit in the background. You could uninstall the main program after creating the WinPE disk. The only linux option I could recommend that would both recover and backup a disk image using a CD is Clonezilla but that takes a bit of a learning curve to use.

Gorbulan beat me to it.

Hey I did! Almost didn't since the site glitched-out right as I hit "Post." Phew!

I don't consider Clonezilla to have a learning curve over software that has a GUI. But, I am biased, I have no problem with command line interfaces. For a command line only program I consider learning it to be quite easy. But, everybody is different.

#7 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your suggestions! But.....I just don't know what this computer's problem is, but no boot cd software seems to work... Acronis, Clonezilla, Aoemi, WinPE... Nothing works. I guess it was not just Acronis.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

You can try using Rufus with an iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Make sure your USB flash drive is listed in the dropdown box and quickformat is checked. Where you see Freedos, select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the iso file and press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive first.

You can create an iso from any bootable CD using Imgburn and use that with Rufus if you only have the bootable disk of Acronis.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:12 PM

Have you considered that your optical drive is the problem at this point? Since none of your bootable discs is not working.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users