Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find Windows critical updates

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Just before turning off the laptop late last night and because I'd not been notified in some time that Windows Updates were available, I checked for Windows Updates and then downloaded and installed 17 updates that were all marked recommended or important.  Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that MS had changed the Windows 10 nagware KB3035583 from optional to important, so it again got downloaded and installed also -- as I saw the Windows 10 icon in task bar this morning.  I finally got KB3035583 uninstalled and then hidden, so now the icon is gone.

However, two questions please.

1)  Per attached images, the Update page still reads for me to upgrade to Windows 10 now (I've never had this before), and when I display "show available updates", there's a download ready for Windows 10 but no KB number associated with it.  And I cannot seem to remove the checkmark next to this download.

2) On BC's home page, it says there are six critical updates that should be installed immediately.  None of these were included in the updates I installed last night October 15th, and when I check for "available updates", they are not listed.  How can I get these critical updates?

Thank you for you assistance.

Attached Files

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

I guess no one is interested in helping with this.  As with topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593361/failure-to-download-updates-error-code-80073712/, I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter two times and get the same result (image attached).  The Troubleshooter says the error 8024402c is not fixed; but in the report section, it says it is fixed.

I reset the wuauserv through command prompt and now the Windows Update is red X as not working at all, saying I've never updated, but the "installed updates" page show the 459 updates that are installed.

According to the Microsoft community, my error,  0x8024402c refers to this API error description - WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

Also, there's a CbsPackageServingFailure2 that occurred at about the same time this morning that the update wouldn't work.

Source

Windows Modules Installer

Summary

CbsPackageServicingFailure2

Date

‎10/‎16/‎2015 10:33 AM

Status

More data required

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:     CbsPackageServicingFailure2

Stack Version:    6.1.7601.18766

Package:    Package_for_KB2952664

Version:    6.1.14.2

Architecture:     amd64

Culture:    unknown

Failure Source:   CBS Other

Start State:      Installed

Target State:     Absent

Client Id:  Software Explorer

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:  1033

Files that help describe the problem

CbsPersist_20150730135019.cab

CbsPersist_20150818120221.cab

CbsPersist_20150819100416.cab

CbsPersist_20151006020152.cab

CbsPersist_20151016130252.cab

CBS.log

Sessions.xml

poqexec.log

setupapi.dev.log

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID:  360421924

Can anyone help with this?  I'd really like to get the critical updates installed.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

I have no idea why you beleive Windows Update not working it did work to install 17 updates but some reason because BC says six more critical updates that should be installed immediately you think Windows Update is not working well have you check if this six updates are install already or not also Microsoft does not allow downloading all updates in a single day have a check next day if those updates available or not. Can you check for updates and give us the error code produce by Windows Update.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 October 2015 - 06:33 AM.

Posted Image

#4 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Can you check for updates and give us the error code produce by Windows Update.

Yesterday before I posted to the forum, I obviously checked the list of installed updates to see if  KB3096441, KB3096643, KB3099659, KB3096448, KB3096440, and KB3096447 had been installed.  I rechecked just now and those updates are not there.

As stated in the original post, the error code is 0x8024402c.  None of the suggestions at this topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593361/failure-to-download-updates-error-code-80073712/ have worked.

I did a SFC /scannow; results said there were no corrupted files.

I did Windows Update Troubleshooter twice with the same result:  the first page of the Troubleshooter says Windows Update error 8024402c, but inside the report it says it is fixed.

These OneDrive links show the reports http://1drv.ms/1NNqUGh and http://1drv.ms/1NNqUGh.

I did system restore and it said couldn't restore because of no access to a file.  I disabled Emsisoft and redid the system Restore and got the same result:  restore not possible because it couldn't access a file--the System Restore error both times was 0x80070005.  This link shows the System Restore error, http://1drv.ms/1NNqXSL.

So now I have not received the critical updates and cannot do a System Restore.  

Thank you for assistance.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

Make sure Firewall is not blocking access to Windows updates. Do not try to access Windows Update using VPN.
You can use the batch script i have created to reset Windows update components download URL link is below.

"Reset Windows Update Components"

Mod Edit by quietman7: Disabled link for downloading a file in violation of this policy.

Posted Image

#6 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

Make sure Firewall is not blocking access to Windows updates.

There is no firewall but the preinstalled Windows firewall.

Do not try to access Windows Update using VPN.

I don't know what a VPN is.  Windows Firewall says I'm not connected to any public network.

http://www.whitehatforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18

I am ready to run your batch file.  

Here's my question to anyone who can give an answer BEFORE tomorrow morning...FreeBooter is in Turkey and I need an answer now.

I've attempted to restore to an earlier point several times, but get the error 80070005 - restore not done because it couldn't access a file.  Yes, I disabled EAM and MBAM with the same result.  

Question: if I run the batch file, and for whatever reason the laptop is rendered not functioning afterward, what can I do?

Note:  I do a system image backup on to a Western Digital My Passport external hard drive every 3 weeks; the last one was 9/29/15.  I would gladly do a restore to the 9/29 system image backup, but I can't seem to make Windows Backup and Restore look for and use that system image and restore to that point.  It is only giving me options to restore files.  I know it's possible because I restored to a system image on the WD about 18 months ago.  The system image backup is listed in System Restore but unless the WD is USB connected so that it can find the system image, I can't see how that would work.

Thanks for assistance.

Attached:  System Restore error, SURT results

Attached Files

#7 doveroh

doveroh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

VPN is usually used if you are connecting with a secure network (usually used when doing remote work for a business), this goes thru a encryption/decryption process that can sometimes get blocked at the company level. 

I'm guessing with your comment that you can't select to restore with an ISO

If your computer is still working and you can access Control Panel, or if you want to restore your system image backup onto a different computer, follow these steps:

1. Open Recovery by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.

2. Click Advanced recovery methods.

3. Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and then follow the steps.

#8 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:49 AM

Open Recovery by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.

Click Advanced recovery methods.

Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and then follow the steps.

Doveroh,

Thank you for responding.

I have performed the steps you list.  However, when I click on the "use a system image" Snap 3 attached, it never takes me to a listing of the backups on the WD where I can select the system image I want to restore from or to any place I can use the 9/29 backup.  It will only tell me to restart and then the Windows System Recovery that on D: comes up as in Snap #5 attached.  I attached a listing from the regular System Restore which shows the 9/29 backup that was actually put on WD.

Any further guidance you can offer is appreciated.

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

I think you may have been bitten by the Microsoft forced install of Windows 10 because it was changed from optional to important.  See this thread and the articles linked to, especially the Forbes article listed in brainout's and my post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593593/win-10-upgrade-no-option-to-opt-out/

#10 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Make sure Firewall is not blocking access to Windows updates. Do not try to access Windows Update using VPN.
You can use the batch script i have created to reset Windows update components download URL link is below.

FreeBooter,

The batch file ran for about 8-10 seconds, a message flashed on the screen about Installation failed because "something ? Application not started".

It will no longer run; installation failed.

So, now not only is the Windows update system not working, I cannot do a system restore to an earlier point.

I'd greatly appreciate your help.  Thanks.

Edited by jackiemarie, 18 October 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

FreeBooter,

The batch file ran for about 8-10 seconds, a message flashed on the screen about Installation failed because "something ? Application not started".

It will no longer run; installation failed.

So, now not only is the Windows update system not working, I cannot do a system restore to an earlier point.

I'd greatly appreciate your help.  Thanks.

I wish you have take note of the message that would have help us lot, if the Command Prompt close before you can take notes of the error messages then open temporary folder and copy/paste content of the WinUpResetLog.txt file to your next post. Open temporary folder by typing %tmp% into Windows Explorer address bar.

Have you executed System File Checker command if not open Command Prompt as aadministartor and type Sfc  /Scannow  command to repair any damage to Windows system files please tell us the finish result of the scan/repair output of this command.

If you have not you can also try out Windows Update troubleshooter tool if this tool wont help you resolve the issue then run "System Update Readiness Tool".

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Edited by FreeBooter, 18 October 2015 - 07:57 PM.

Posted Image

#12 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

Quote "I wish you have take note of the message that would have help us lot, if the Command Prompt close before you can take notes of the error messages then open temporary folder and copy/paste content of the WinUpResetLog.txt file to your next post. Open temporary folder by typing %tmp% into Windows Explorer address bar.

Have you executed System File Checker command if not open Command Prompt as aadministartor and type Sfc  /Scannow  command to repair any damage to Windows system files please tell us the finish result of the scan/repair output of this command.

If you have not you can also try out Windows Update troubleshooter tool if this tool wont help you resolve the issue then run "System Update Readiness Tool".

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 "End Quote

FreeBooter,

Attached are results of SFC and WindowsTroubleShooter, and the SURT logs.

This is WinUpResetLog:  (text file is also attached)

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is stopping..
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was stopped successfully.

The Windows Update service is stopping..
The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.

The Cryptographic Services service is stopping..
The Cryptographic Services service was stopped successfully.

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

The two links you reference for the System Update Readiness Tool would not work.  One said "DNS Probe Finished_DXDOMAIN" and the second one said "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED".  I used the SURT package I had downloaded on Friday.

Attached Files

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Two of the URL link for System Update Readiness Tool does work for me maybe you should change your DNS servers.

For some reason WinUpResetLog.txt file is not complete log of actions the batch script commands can you run the batch script again as administrator and upload the WinUpResetLog.txt file again please. Can you also upload "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" file please.

Posted Image

#14 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

Two of the URL link for System Update Readiness Tool does work for me maybe you should change your DNS servers.

For some reason WinUpResetLog.txt file is not complete log of actions the batch script commands can you run the batch script again as administrator and upload the WinUpResetLog.txt file again please. Can you also upload "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" file please.

I have an absolute emergency as a result of this instruction.

I ran the batch file again, and immediately Emsisoft pops up and says the Windows kernel files have been infected: C\:Windows\System32\taskill.exe.

I am requesting  HELP.  Please have an English speaking person look at this and tell me what's happening.

This posting has been going on since last Friday.  Because of the time difference in Turkey and non-English help, I fear this laptop is getting trashed.

The WinUpResetLog that is in Temp and is dated 10/19 is also attached, named WinUpResetLog2txt

FreeBooter is sincere, but instructions are not readable and now this has happened.

Snips attached.  This is ridiculous since I've said for three days that System Restore is not working either.

Attached Files

#15 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

jackiemarie,

A few comments -

• If you suspect your computer may be infected, please post a request for assistance in the Am I Infected? What do I do? Forum. That is the appropriate place to ask for help if you think your computer is infected. If you do NOT believe your computer is infected, then please continue reading.
  • The people at BC are volunteers and are from all over the world (i.e. different members live in different time zones). Please be patient. Generally you should expect a response within 48 hours (not 8).
  • The volunteers at BC are from all over the world. English is the primary language on BC, but some of the non-English speaking members must use translation software. Please be understanding and polite with everyone at BC.
  • Please take a moment to review the BC Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines.

It looks like you ran a batch file that is trying to use taskkill.exe to close Windows Automatic Update related components. I can confirm that by reviewing the source code of the batch file. That said, Emisoft doesn't trust the batch file which is why you see the message. Again, if you suspect your computer may be infected, please post a request for assistance in the Am I Infected? What do I do? Forum as I will not be able to assist you.

Let's start by addressing your original questions.

1)  Per attached images, the Update page still reads for me to upgrade to Windows 10 now (I've never had this before), and when I display "show available updates", there's a download ready for Windows 10 but no KB number associated with it.  And I cannot seem to remove the checkmark next to this download.

It is a known issue, that Microsoft recently changed the Upgrade to Windows 10 update from optional to critical. I would recommend reading this thread.

2) On BC's home page, it says there are six critical updates that should be installed immediately.  None of these were included in the updates I installed last night October 15th, and when I check for "available updates", they are not listed.  How can I get these critical updates?

At this point, your best bet may be to restore from a backed up System Image and then remove the Windows 10 related updates. If you do not have a good restore point or a System Image, then you may be out of luck.

Let's do this though:

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
  • List Restore Points

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using - Speccy, and please make sure you post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

EDIT:

I attached a listing from the regular System Restore which shows the 9/29 backup that was actually put on WD.

Also, I think you may be confusing System Restore with Windows Backup. There are three primary recovery options:

1. System Restore (restore points are created automatically so you can restore system settings)
  2. Windows Backup (backs up files)
  3. System Image (creates an image on an external drive that will restore your operating system, programs, and files

Edited by packetanalyzer, 19 October 2015 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users