Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building "half" of a PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 REBStorage

REBStorage

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Christmas is coming and i was thinking of doing a present to a friend of mine who got his PC broken due to overheating and cannot afford buying a new one.

Some of the components are already owned and i'm going to buy the others.

The goal of this is completing a decent/good PC, not to play at last games, but just for a normal usage. I know this friend of mine plays MOBA games and they usually do not require high performances.

As you may understand, since it is a present to a friend, the budget is pretty low but i've been looking on pcpartpicker and i think i've been able to find something good.

CPUAMD A4-4020 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor

Do i need a CPU cooler or is it already included? 

MOBOASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard

I know this doesn't have USB3.0 ports whilst the Case i've picked have them..

RAM: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

I've already got this. Maybe i should get another stick.

STORAGESeagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I've already got this.

GPU: GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card

I've already got this

CASE: Xigmatek Aeos MicroATX Mid Tower Case

Honestly i don't know very much about cases different from the normal "mid tower" kind, may/should i buy one different?

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ PSU OR 300W 80+ PSU
Both already owned, i'll see if the first fit the case, otherwise i'll mount the second.

Optical Drive: Random one, already owned.

Pc Part Picker is saying that this would cost around 61$ (obviously not counting the things i've got already) and i'd like to stick around this budget (80$ maximum).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

You'll need an operating system.  Windows 10 costs about $100.  Do you know which specific model of case that is?  Is it this?  The CPU does have a heatsink and fan included, but the CPU is a very low-end component and should be upgraded if anything more taxing than general home office tasks are done.  With the RAM, I'd aim for 4GB, either as a single 4GB stick or two 2GB sticks for a little extra room.

3939.png

#3 REBStorage

REBStorage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I've already got a copy of Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and an old Windows 7. So i'm fine with the OS.

However i could always go on a linux distro

I was considering buying 2gb more of ram too, have you got any particular suggestion? Maybe just the same of the other stick?

About the CPU what would you suggest instead of that?

#4 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

What about this one man? AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

If you have Windows already, you need a full, boxed retail copy to move it from one PC to another.  Alternatively, you can buy another System Builder/OEM license.  You cannot move a System Builder/OEM license from one PC to another as the license is tied to one motherboard.  If you want to try Linux, I'm a fan of Debian.

With RAM, 4GB is suggested due to programs using more of it.  With a 64-bit operating system, you should be using 4GB or more.  Due to the low price, I'd suggest the Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.  If you want to save $10, you can go for the Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 but I'd just go for a single 8GB stick.

Due to the unique design of AMD's current processors, I would go for a quad core design if possible.  Something like the AMD A8-7670K or AMD A10-7850K would be good.  You can stay with the dual core processors, but the design isn't that of a traditional dual core.  The same is true with the quad core CPU's.

3939.png

#6 REBStorage

REBStorage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

I've researched all the things you suggested me and i've found some conclusions and i've some new questions aswell.

About the CPU options, i've seen the two quadcore @DJBPace07 suggested, and i've seen how much they're better than the one i'm looking for, but they fill the maximum budget by theirselves in this project so they're not viable for me :/

About the dual core @donisonleague suggested, i've seen it too and although it cost a little bit more, it may be viable probably. But is the difference worth the price gap between the AMD A4-4020 and the A6-5400K?

And what's the difference between these two CPUs and an old Intel Dual Core E6750 for example?

Edit: I've also seen that the integrated graphics on the A6-5400K is actually better than the currently GPU (GT 610), and also a cooler is shipped together with the A6-5400K and this cover the 10€ difference with the A4-4020, so maybe the A6-5400K is a good pick..

Edited by REBStorage, 20 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

Erm, how much are the parts you selected in post #1? When I click the links the only one that gives a price is the motherboard ($45.99).  If the whole lot comes to $61, how much is that case and CPU?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users