Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi all! I'm currently thinking of building a new pc and i've tried combine something with PCPartPicker.

Here it is: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/zcs4bv

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU CoolerSilenX EFZ-100HA2 58.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: (already owned) 2x 8gb DDR3 1600 Corsair UDIMM 240 1.5V (CT2KIT102454BA160B)

Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + (already owned) 2 TB HDD

Video card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Cost: 786€

Budget is around 750-800€ (800-900$)

Is this ok in your opinion? What would you change?

The aim of this pc should be: general usage, mid-end gaming

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

I would change the motherboard. Intel disables overclocking on all but their z97 and z87 chipsets (you have B85). I would recommend this motherboard if you are going micro-atx or this motherboard if you are going full-atx. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

Is this a gaming PC?  If it is, I suggest getting a GTX 970.  You can lower the processor down to an i5, but the GPU will be heavily utilized with gaming.  You also need to buy a copy of Windows.

3939.png

#4 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

I would change the motherboard. Intel disables overclocking on all but their z97 and z87 chipsets (you have B85). I would recommend this motherboard if you are going micro-atx or this motherboard if you are going full-atx. 

Thank you for your suggestion, i've seen that this way i'll be also available for future upgrades on RAM.

#5 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

Is this a gaming PC?  If it is, I suggest getting a GTX 970.  You can lower the processor down to an i5, but the GPU will be heavily utilized with gaming.  You also need to buy a copy of Windows.

The PC will also be used for gaming, but not that much, so i do not know if the 100€ more would be worth..

Is the difference so meaningful if this PC won't be used for hardcore gaming?
Already have a boxed copy of Windows, and however planning to run Linux too.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

If you have a boxed retail copy of Windows, or an unused System Builder/OEM copy, you should be all set there.  As for the GPU, it depends.  The GPU will be used more heavily with gaming and, if you are doing certain graphical rendering or anything using a technology like CUDA, the GTX 970 would be worth it.  You could step down to an i5 and get the 970.

3939.png

#7 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

I agree with DJ, i think using an i5 and getting a 970 would be the way to go. 

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

The PC will also be used for gaming, but not that much, so i do not know if the 100€ more would be worth..

if you are doing certain graphical rendering or anything using a technology like CUDA, the GTX 970 would be worth it
You could step down to an i5 and get the 970.

May I ask what all you plan to run?

Much for the same reason as the 970. If you're running more professional use software it might benefit more from the i7 CPU over the 970 GPU. 

I would change the motherboard. Intel disables overclocking on all but their z97 and z87 chipsets (you have B85).

For the opposite reason of that. If you're not planning on overclocking, then you might want to step down from the overcloking "k" variant of CPU to the regular non "k" version. The "k" denotes that it's a overclocking enabled chip, and they generally cost 50$ more because of it . If you don't plan on using the feature then it seems like a waste of 50$. Could even say 100$ wasted since motherboards with a chipset that has it enabled usually cost 50$ more as well.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users