Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it advisable to downgrade from 8.1 to XP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason6161

Jason6161

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Because of all the security issues I've been reading about, I've been thinking about downgrading to XP 64bit...?

Comments please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hi Jason6161 :)

I'll answer your question by asking you another one instead: Windows XP is now discontinued, doesn't receive security updates anymore, and no matter the Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, etc. you install on it, they still can't protect the system (OS) itself from being exploited. This being said, Windows 8.1 is fully updated and receives constant security updates and this for years to come. In the IT world, updating your software, system, devices, etc. is the best way to stay secure. Now, do you really think that downgrading to an outdated and unsupported OS like Windows XP, will give you more protection than the newest and updated Windows 8.1? :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Windows XP is dead. Windows 8.1 Windows 7 and Windows 10 are the best bets for current OS. Theres Vista but thats on the way out too.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Windows Vista Extended Support is ending on April 11th, 2017. Even there, Vista isn't worth using, better move on to at least Windows 7.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

Windows XP is too old, why don't you conside a clean install of windows 10?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users