Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update and installation issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Here are two thought provoking press releases from 15 October 2015  concerning the Windows 10 the roll out.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgrade-nags-become-more-aggressive-offer-no-opt-out/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Comment?

Edited by tealover, 16 October 2015 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

tealover,

This is the update that is causing the change. It is important to check what updates are checked when you install Windows Updates. I understand optional updates usually are not checked, but if you aren't paying attention and install the Windows 10 Upgrade update then Windows will not give you much of a choice.

That said, you might be able to uninstall it in Control Panel by clicking Programs and Features and then View installed updates. If it is listed then you can try to uninstall it. I also saw you can revert to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 within the first 30 days of the upgrade, but I don't know if that will always be true based on what Microsoft did with the update you highlighted.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 16 October 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#3 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

packetanalyzer,

I removed KB(3035583) from my installed updates list which removed the "Get Windows 10" icon from the system tray. Selecting all my upgrades but not Win 10 installed my updates but not 10 despite it downloading.

On update, installation and restart that naughty icon reappeared in my system tray. I have a registry edit which I'll try to get rid of this pesky behaviour for good.

Edited by tealover, 16 October 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

We normally have 30 to 40 systems on the bench at any one time - and the vast majority are W7 and W8/8.1 systems (W10 systems still haven't shown up for repairs in large numbers).

Most problems with the update to W10 comes from clicking without looking.

In all cases that I've seen, there's a pre-checked option to install W10 - and clicking to start Windows Updates will start that one also.
But it's simple to uncheck it.  Also, if it starts installing, it's simple to cancel it.

BUT, the other problem of it downloading in the background seems far more serious.

What if you're running out of room on your hard drive?

What if you're on a metered connection and have to pay for the download?

What if your slower connection has problems with the download - and the download is corrupted?

FWIW - I read an article recently that states that Microsoft will be unchecking the update in Windows Update.

As for the update itself, we do 4 or 5 a week.

Most work well if you take precautions before installing - most of which are repairs and updates, but the most important is to backup your stuff!!!.

Those that don't work are usually from well used systems that could have had problems before the update was attempted.

Also, there are sometimes problems with reverting to the previous OS.

But again, these are most often in well used systems.

But it happens often enough that a caution is necessary - "Backup your stuff before attempting the upgrade!"

As a failed revert leaves you with real choice other than a wipe and reinstall.

Finally, make sure you activate the OS while online.

Activating the OS online "registers" it with the Microsoft servers - so when you try to reinstall Windows 10, the server will recognize it and activate it automatically.

Here's some of the things to do prior to updating (the first one can't be done in W7):

I actually use this on troublesome systems that have already been updated:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users