Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange files in Root Directory amd multiple Temp***root folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:11 AM

I have discovered a huge number of similar files in the root directory of my C drive.  They all have names that start with "UDMFT" and end in 6 digits. The first one is 2,836,257 KB; and all the others are 1KB.  There is no extension on any of them.  I have looked at a couple of the smaller ones with Notepad, but they are unintelligible.  They were all created on 1/18/2015.

The second thing I wanted to ask about is all the TEMP***ROOT folders in the root directory.  The asterisks represent what mostly looks like filename extensions.  Almost all of them were created in March of 2014. I think this was when we were cleaning malware from this laptop.  I tried to find the topic, but couldn't.  I hesitate to say who I think was helping me, because I'm not 100% sure.

Can I safely delete these Temp folders?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:26 AM

Don't delete things manually you might break something. To help clean up a lot of this stuff you right click your C drive. Go to properties under general tab 'disk cleanup' and then click 'clean up system files' button. Select what you want to delete. Careful though there are memory dumps, restore points and downloaded microsoft updates in there as well that you may want to keep. They can grow very large in size. However, they are all safe to delete through disk clean up. As an example on a Windows 7 updated to windows 10 you can delete the Windows 7 backup in there as well. Doing so you can't choose to go back to Windows 7. I made a clone of Windows 7 prior and after Windows 10 so for me I deleted it all & regained 20-30G's of disk space.

Edited by technonymous, 16 October 2015 - 03:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users