Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I create a bootable USB without Win 7 install CD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dlee25

dlee25

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

Hi all,

I am converting from HDD to SSD and need to move my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium image to a USB flash drive. However, my laptop did not come with a Windows 7 installation CD because the image is in a partition within my internal HDD. How can I extract that image from my internal HDD and move it to my USB flash drive and creating it into a bootable USB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:00 AM

If it is not too late that you haven't transferred to the SSD, you can create a bootable USB with free easeus todo backup or Macrium reflect free. But you'd better backup the whole disk in case anything goes wrong when you're cloning the HDD to SSD.

#3 db2x4

db2x4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

Want to try this slove?
Restore your image partition then backup your system partion with Norton Ghost> copy the ghost image file to your SSD (on D:\ E:\ etc) and restore it.

Note. Norton Ghost 2003 (Windows installation version) can run on win 7 x86 only. if we're using X64 windows, download Onekey Ghost instead for backup and restore.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 October 2015 - 01:09 PM.
removed link

#4 dlee25

dlee25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

If it is not too late that you haven't transferred to the SSD, you can create a bootable USB with free easeus todo backup or Macrium reflect free. But you'd better backup the whole disk in case anything goes wrong when you're cloning the HDD to SSD.

I found a pretty good link with a tutorial on how to create an image with Macrium Reflect Free http://www.howtogeek.com/223139/how-to-create-an-image-of-your-pc-before-upgrading-to-windows-10/

After I format the USB drive with a 64GB capacity to NTFS, I plan on putting both the rescue media and image on it. Is this okay?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

The link given by db2x4 was removed from his post.

Bleeping Computer does not allow direct download links, which that one was.

From here (and it applies to ALL forums) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

Posting of direct downloads links for any software is NOT permitted from file uploading/downloading hosting sites, personal sites and file sharing sites. This is for the safety of our members since Bleeping Computer has no control of files hosted at such sites.

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

I found a pretty good link with a tutorial on how to create an image with Macrium Reflect Free http://www.howtogeek.com/223139/how-to-create-an-image-of-your-pc-before-upgrading-to-windows-10/

After I format the USB drive with a 64GB capacity to NTFS, I plan on putting both the rescue media and image on it. Is this okay?

Yes. You can do that. Just need to confirm whether the USB is big enough to contain both the image and rescue media.

#7 dlee25

dlee25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

I just tried creating the image on the usb. Followed every step exactly, and when i boot up the computer with the new SSD from the USB, Macrium Reflect Free's window appears but does not show my image file on the USB and gives no option to image my SSD.

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2015 - 01:28 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users