Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 may had broke my hard disk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gamer089

Gamer089

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

After a long day installing my graphics card drivers it was time to install my Bluetooth drivers but the only problem was that it wasn't compatibility with windows 10 so I used the latest drivers for my Bluetooth device for windows 10 after that it said to restart my PC since it needs all the features which I did. After the restart login and bsod happened something about kernel auto boost lock acquisition. So I boot up again but this time it works OK but as soon it as I connect my earphones bsod happened and its the same one. So I boot up once more but this time all I got was a black screen with a white blinking _. So I thought did windows 10 nuke itselfand I had one opinion left to check my PC is OK but what I got is that my hard desk failed at test 2 (Comprehensive)... error read failure. What should I do because it may had been windows 10 fault and I have no clue of what happened

Edited by Gamer089, 15 October 2015 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:22 PM

The install may have stressed the drive enough, causing it to fail the test. The drive probably was on it's way to failure. What test did you run on the drive? If an HP or Dell, there is a diagnostic key you can press at boot to do a hardware test.

#3 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

It was a HP elitebook 6930p laptop I did the diagnostic on my desk and its says the test failed

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,825 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:31 PM

Then I would say the disk was failing and the install took the drive over the edge. You can verify the fail using a bootable linux disk called Parted Magic but if HP said the drive failed then I think you are looking at a new drive. Is the computer still under warranty?

#5 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

Sadly but no as it expired long time but its amazing how windows 10 can be a bum to ur pc. Let's just see when my PC cools down and check if its different. If it still works than I'm gonna reboot it back to windows 7 as it is working more than 10

Edited by Gamer089, 15 October 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,825 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

Good Luck. Please post an update.

#7 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

It passed on the start-up test on the memory and hard desk

#8 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

It passed the run-in test memory and hdd

Sadly not the HDD test I'm going to see if I can boot up windows 7 install and see if I can still use the PC without buying a new hdd.

Edited by Gamer089, 15 October 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#9 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hi,

Just so you know, built in factory diagnostics to test your hard drive are not conclusive, and not very reliable.

You need to download the free SEATOOLS diagnostic, and run BOTH short and long tests on your hard drive.  If SEATOOLS returns any errors, your drive has failed and must be replaced!! 

HP laptops and notebooks rarely have hard drives that last 2 yrs. (just when most extended warranties expire!); so if SEATOOLS shows your hard drive has failed, that's certainly no surprise if you bought your laptop on it with Win7.  That means it's probably 4-6 yrs. old and way past due for replacing.  HP has been using the cheapest of the hard drives, Toshibas, which fail way before other brands in their laptops since 2009. 

Win10 probably didn't cause the problem, your drive was most likely failing before, and you may have seen some symptoms but not they were related to your hard drive failing.  We call this a "coincidental hardware failure".  It's simply a coincidence that Win10 failed after the upgrade.  If you didn't choose to ERASE your entire hard drive option in the Win10 installer, it probably missed the problem(s) and let Win10 complete the upgrade, but things then started not working...

Run the test.  Take appropriate action.  If your hard drive fails, replace it and reinstall Win10--all should then be good.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 16 October 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#10 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

No thanks I think I will stick with windows 7 since it wasn't working out for windows 10

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,824 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

Gamer089,

Not that I'm concerned with your choice to stick with Win7 if that's what you prefer, but you're living in a fool's paradise if you believe that your hard drive is not on its way out unless you perform just the sort of diagnostics suggested by BIGBEARJEDI.

You have been presented with all sorts of red flags that indicate a hard drive that is no longer robust, and it's foolish to brush those off and put those flags on Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

There is one free thingie he can download, install, and monitor the itty bitty output:  Acronis Drive Monitor, a freebie [www.acronis.com].  It will monitor SMART and HD temp.  I disabled the backup and notification functions - I only needed temp & SMART monitoring.  I'm giving the URL so that you get the freebie from the original source.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,825 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

Just so you know, built in factory diagnostics to test your hard drive are not conclusive, and not very reliable.

You need to download the free SEATOOLS diagnostic, and run BOTH short and long tests on your hard drive.  If SEATOOLS returns any errors, your drive has failed and must be replaced!! 

HP laptops and notebooks rarely have hard drives that last 2 yrs. (just when most extended warranties expire!); so if SEATOOLS shows your hard drive has failed, that's certainly no surprise if you bought your laptop on it with Win7.  That means it's probably 4-6 yrs. old and way past due for replacing.  HP has been using the cheapest of the hard drives, Toshibas, which fail way before other brands in their laptops since 2009. 

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I agree that a second tool is needed to verify the HP diagnostic as I suggested PartedMagic and Gsmartcontrol but I have to take issue that HP uses cheap drives. All hard drives now are made by only three companies. Seagate, Toshiba and WD.  I don't know if HP may use refurbished drives but I currently have a HP laptop that is over 6 years old and the hard drive diagnostics are fine. Maybe I am lucky. I have a emachines desktop that has a hard drive that is over 12 years old with over 47000 hours of use. I do admit that drives today are not built like the drives 10 years ago. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

One aspect of this problem that nobody has mentioned so far is - back up your data ASAP !

On the evidence presented so far I have to agree that this HD is on its way out and reverting to Win 7 will not change that. But whether it dies next week or soldiers on for another ten years your data is at risk and this is the stuff that matters. Hard drives only cost money to replace, software is merely tedious and time consuming to re-install, but once your own work is gone it is gone unless you have a back up - preferably two. It is sometimes possible to recover data from a dead HD - but expensive.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

Hi,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I agree that a second tool is needed to verify the HP diagnostic as I suggested PartedMagic and Gsmartcontrol but I have to take issue that HP uses cheap drives. All hard drives now are made by only three companies. Seagate, Toshiba and WD.  I don't know if HP may use refurbished drives but I currently have a HP laptop that is over 6 years old and the hard drive diagnostics are fine. Maybe I am lucky. I have a emachines desktop that has a hard drive that is over 12 years old with over 47000 hours of use. I do admit that drives today are not built like the drives 10 years ago. 

>>>To my knowledge, HP never uses refurbished drives in NEW computers, but of course they do in refurbished PCs and laptops.  You're information is somewhat incorrect; there are like 30 companies who make hard drives with the advent of SSD and SSD hybrid drives such as Samsung, Kingston, Intel, and others.  What you may not be aware of is that Toshiba hasn't made their own hard drives in over 20 years; I used to work for Toshiba and worked in their US Headquarters where they designed and manufactured hard drives.  That division went under in 1991, and I was one of the hundreds laid off when that facility closed and they got out of the business.  So this is firsthand information.  Since the mid-90s, Toshiba has purchased private-label hard drives from Fujitsu, IBM, and Hitachi; all those got stamped with a Toshiba label.  So for 20+ years, even Toshiba doesn't use Toshiba drives in their own laptops--a fact few outside the industry actually know.  That's the reason too that you can't download drive diagnostics from Toshibas website--they don't exist, they use other companies drives who DO have their own diagnostics available.  With that said, HP computers, especially their laptops fail more than all the other drive brands put together.  This is bad news for Customers, but very good news for me.  If it weren't for HP's poor quallity since they started outsourcing their computer manufacturing in China around 2005, I couldn't afford to eat.  Most HP laptops I get, have a Toshiba drive in them, which I always replace with a WD, Seagate, or an SSD brand mentioned above.  This is why I made the statement I have made.  Also, I do believe you've just been lucky with your HP drives.  I have designed hard drives and controllers for 4 different major drive manufacturers; all mentioned here.  I thought I should set you straight on this.  And, there is conclusive published documentation on testing results available on the Internet about this--I suggest you Google it.  I appreciate what you're trying to tell the OP though.<<<

Cheers!  <<<BBJ>>> 

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 19 October 2015 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users