Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem opening pictures with Windows Live Photo Gallery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nicole2007

nicole2007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

I don't know for sure what happened, but suddenly i could not even get into my Windows Photo Gallery. I Googled and tried some things, ran the FixIt tool and was finally able to open the Gallery and access my pictures. However, I can not open pictures within the gallery by just double clicking on them. I have to right click, select "open with" and then choose either "Paint" or "Windows Photo Viewer."

I set my default as Windows Photo Viewer. If it's set at Windows Photo Gallery the Gallery tries to open but fails and I get a window telling me it can't run and then it just closes down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

Right click the picture then select Choose Default Program. Select Windows Photo Viewer from the list and make sure the box next to "Always use the selected program..." is checked.

#3 nicole2007

nicole2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

I did as you said using a photo on my desktop. It opened fine.

Then I opened Windows Photo Gallery (WPG) and tried to open a picture within the Gallery by just double clicking on it. See screenshot of the error.

I closed WPG, reopened and then I could right click on a photo and choose to open with Windows Photo Viewer.

But why can't I just open WPG, double click a photo and open it without having to right click and choose something to open with???

I have two other computers and that's all I have to do with both of those.

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

Do you get this problem if you login to another user account on the computer?

Try the steps here. If removing Photo Gallery and reinstalling make sure your files in PhotoGallery are backed up first.

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery

In order to see this folder you will need to enable Hidden Folders.

Type folder options in the Start Search box, and click the Folder Options program

3. Select the View tab

4. In the Advanced Settings window, underneath Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders    

If the above does not solve the problem open an elevated command prompt ( Type CMD in the search box and Right Click > Run as Administrator) and type

sfc /scannow

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#5 nicole2007

nicole2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

I only have one user account set up.

I did the uninstall using repair option and it didn't work. I then performed this again and restarted and it still didn't work .

I already had Show hidden files and folders selected. When I went to the link you gave me there was only one photo in there and I have LOTS of photos in my gallery. What gives with that?  

As things stand, I can access my Gallery and I can open my pictures as long as I right click on them and select open with and then either Paint or Windows Photo Viewer. 

My computer has Windows Live Essentials 2011 and I don't think I want to tackle an un- and reinstall.  I guess I'd rather live with the way things are working right now, but I am wondering about where all my photos went on the hard drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

From what I have read Windows Photo Gallery uses the photos stored on your computer and does not store them inside of the program, only tags them. Are these pictures in your Pictures folder? 

#7 nicole2007

nicole2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Attached File  Programs on list..JPG   18.54KB   0 downloads

I don't know. I'm kind of a novice. I only know that lots of pictures appear in my Gallery, but when i go to that link given me for the purpose of backing up pictures there is only one picture there. The folder that opens says "Original Photos" but there is only one photo in it.

Could that be the wrong link for finding my pictures? I went to C\Users\Name\My Pictures and they are all in there.

P.S. When I was in my Programs and Features I noticed two strange entries that show an install date of 10-16. I have no idea what these are but they look scary to me. Can you advise?

Edited by nicole2007, 16 October 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

I have no idea what those two entries are. I did find this. It looks like something you do not need. In IE you can disable or delete Active X controls. 

Internet Options > Programs. Manage Add-ons. Click on the Add-on and then select More Information. This will let you remove the ActiveX control.

If you remove a picture from your My Pictures Folder, it should no longer be shown in Photo Gallery.

#9 nicole2007

nicole2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

Pictures: My question was about the location you gave me for backing up my pictures (C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery) because when I followed that there was only one picture in that location. But then when I went to C\Users\Name\My Pictures, they were all there.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

Photo Gallery only looks at the photos in your Photos folder. It does not actually store a photo unless possibly when it is being viewed and edited. If you move a photo out of your Photos folder do you see it still in Photo Gallery? I believe there is an option in Photo Gallery to select the location of the photos folder to be viewed in Gallery.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/choose-which-pictures-and-videos-are-displayed-in-windows-photo-gallery

When you remove a folder from Photo Gallery, you do not delete it from your computer. If you remove a folder, Photo Gallery will no longer display the pictures and videos that were in that folder, though the folder will remain on your computer.

You can remove folders that you have added to Photo Gallery at any time, but you can't remove the folders that are in Photo Gallery by default. Removing a folder prevents it from being displayed in Photo Gallery. While you can remove folders from Photo Gallery, you can't remove individual pictures or videos. You can, however, delete pictures from Photo Gallery at any time. If you delete a picture it is deleted from your computer as if you deleted it from the Pictures folder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users