Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chrome*32.exe virus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 siwymotherwell

siwymotherwell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could provide guidance on how to get rid of this virus? Every time I open a google chrome window task manager displays multiple chrome*32 processes which, in turn, is slowing down my computer. I recently carried out a dban to wipe my hard disk clean and start again. I stupidly reinfected my computer as the ISO files and drivers I reinstalled windows with were copied and burned from the previously infected drive! Seems like a never ending loop. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2015 - 03:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Actually as a Chrome user myself, this is not a vrius whatsoever. Chrome uses multiple proccesses on its own that it needs to run properly, It USED to be one single process to run Chrome, but with recent updates to the software and browser, its moved up to one proccess per item in the browser, in this case one proccess for each extension you have installed, plus the browser itself, plus each tab in the browser.

Chrome shouldn't be opening new proccesses every time you open a new tab, just a single process.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi siwymotherwell :)

Google Chrome is based on Chromium, which have a multi-process model. This means that for every tabs, extensions and plugins currently running/open in Google Chrome, a process will be created for it. All these processes are sandboxed and independent from each other, the goal of this being that when one process (like a tab, extension or plugin) crashes, the whole browser doesn't crash with it and can recover faster. It also offers enhanced security due to the sandbox feature.

It USED to be one single process to run Chrome, but with recent updates to the software and browser, its moved up to one proccess per item in the browser, in this case one proccess for each extension you have installed, plus the browser itself, plus each tab in the browser.

Google Chrome always worked that way, it isn't recent at all :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Expanding on what has already been said.

Chrome.exe (Chrome.exe *32) is a legitimate process related to the Google Chrome web browser. Multiple copies of chrome.exe, referred to as process-per-tab, listed in Task Manager is intentional by design as a crash control. Chrome creates three types of processes (browser, renderers, and plug-ins). Each Chrome tab is treated as it's own individual process for the life of tab meaning it is treated as a separate process so that multiple tabs can run with less problems. This feature increases responsiveness, and prevents the browser from locking up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. In the event of a browser crash or hang in one tab, it prevents the entire browser from closing down. Chrome has its own built-in Task Manager which is accessed by right-clicking on the browser's title bar. You can see what which process does by going to Menu > Tools > Task Manager. The Chrome Task Manager lets you track resource usage for each individual tab and lets you kill any tabs that have stopped responding without having to restart the entire browser.

Google-Chrome-processes-in-Windows-Task-

Windows-Task-Manager.png

For more specific information, please refer to:There are numerous comments about this at the Chrome Help forum. See Multiple chrome.exe in Task Manager.

Tools & Tips to Optimize & Troubleshoot Memory/CPU Usage in Firefox and Chrome:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 siwymotherwell

siwymotherwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I just feel as though everything is sticking a bit, even with everything wiped off my computer it's not as fast. I definitely picked up a virus before I carried out the dban. It kept popping up with a google chrome survey and it was eating up all my cpu. Obviously not arguing with you guys as you know your stuff just doesn't seem to be able to handle the same amount of processes as before. Also - this might sound stupid but i'm not technical with computers at all - the laptop's fan is at full blast with only 3 google chrome windows open. This never used to be the case. Maybe it's something else?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

Mod Edit:  Moved back to Win 7.

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

The fan going full blast usually indicates a overheating problem.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkbox only:

• List Installed Programs

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Follow dc3's advice.  And, purchase an external USB-powered or AC-powered cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

Follow dc3's advice.  And, purchase an external USB-powered or AC-powered cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].

Let's see what the temperatures are before suggesting that they purchase anything.  It may be resolved by blowing out the case with canned Duster.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users