Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display - PC Reboot Loop (blue screen)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 negativefx83

negativefx83

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

So last night iTunes needed to update drivers for my wife's old iPhone. That seemed to fail and windows said it must restart to resolve the issue. When attempting to reboot, the blue screen appeared saying we're sorry, windows encountered an error and must restart....etc,etc.". When it rebooted, the display did not come on and the screen just said "monitor going to sleep". I found this odd so I let it sit there for 5 minutes, nothing. I powered down the pc and unplugged the power and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes.  I plugged it back in, booted it up, same issue. The pc seemed to restart maybe 45seconds -1 min after, but no display. I turned it off again, and replaced the video card with another... same problem, no display. 

I then removed the case and re-seated all of the devices inside (hdd, ram, video card, cmos to reset BIOS). The result was the same upon plugging it back in. After that I figured somehow it was the motherboard and HDD, so I ended up ordering a new one which will be here shortly. But I'm curious as to what others think it could be?

Thanks for your input!

Windows 10 OS 64bit

i5 3.4ghz Quad Core

24gb Ram

2TB WD HDD

EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 192-bit

Edited by negativefx83, 15 October 2015 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

So last night iTunes needed to update drivers for my wife's old iPhone. That seemed to fail and windows said it must restart to resolve the issue. When attempting to reboot, the blue screen appeared

That's your problem....buggy drivers caused system corruption or are attempting to load and crashing the system. Try to enter safe mode and hopefully you can get booted; totally delete all iTunes drivers on your computer and reboot. Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't, then next try a system restore from the restore date immediately before this happened. Another option: if you have been keeping image backups (you have, haven't you?) do a restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

So last night iTunes needed to update drivers for my wife's old iPhone. That seemed to fail and windows said it must restart to resolve the issue. When attempting to reboot, the blue screen appeared

That's your problem....buggy drivers caused system corruption or are attempting to load and crashing the system. Try to enter safe mode and hopefully you can get booted; totally delete all iTunes drivers on your computer and reboot. Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't, then next try a system restore from the restore date immediately before this happened. Another option: if you have been keeping image backups (you have, haven't you?) do a restore.

Well I think it is the HDD after hours of troubleshooting. I can't see anything on the screen with the current HDD that had the issue, but when I popped a different HDD in, I did get a screen that said "bios has been reset to default" and "this disc has no data file or bootable image" which is ok because it's a blank HDD. However, I only got the different HDD to work a few times, not everytime. I still get "monitor going to sleep" most of the time and i cannot do anything with a blank screen...

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Easy to test. Download Seagate Seatools for DOS (on Seagates website), burn the image to a CD and reboot (make sure you are set to CD=1st boot device).

Did you try what I suggested?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Easy to test. Download Seagate Seatools for DOS (on Seagates website), burn the image to a CD and reboot (make sure you are set to CD=1st boot device).

Did you try what I suggested?

Thank you for the reply, but with respect, I mentioned twice that I cannot see anything on my screen. It's just a blank screen, my video isn't responding. "Monitor going to sleep". The PC is also rebooting after about 20-30 seconds. Like I said I think it's stuck in that blue screen reboot loop, except my screen is blank.

Edited by negativefx83, 16 October 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

My apologies...I didn't understand; when you said "no display" I assumed that you meant that after the POST (Power On Self Test) screen the screen went dark, but you were at least getting the POST screen. So..to clarify... on boot, you are not even getting the POST screen? Just a dark screen?

>Do you hear the system beep when first power-on?

>Question: does your computer have integrated video on the motherboard, or must you use a video card to get picture?

#7 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

When I turn on the pc, the display stays dark,like it isn't even recognized. The monitor light is amber like it is in sleep mode. No integrated video, but I've tried another card and that also gets no display. No beeps, turns on like normal fans, drive, etc....

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

Curious as to what motherboard and what i5 CPU you have.  Most i5's (apart from the very first ones) have integrated graphics.

Symptoms sound like either you have several components failed at the same time or possibly something that links them all together - e.g. motherboard or power supply.  You say you have a motherboard on order, so will be able to rule that out at that point.  A "bad" HDD doesn't typically cause video to stop displaying, for example, and can be easily ruled out by disconnecting.  Swapping the video card out for (presumably) a known good one also suggests that's not the issue.  A failed power supply would usually not turn on at all, but the last failed PSU I had (a 5 year old OCZ 600w PSU) was resulting in some video output, but not much else, and no boot up beyond the BIOS logo.  The "giveaway" that led me straight to the PSU in that case without needing to do extensive fault finding was the fact the PC's fans were struggling to turn - clearly there was a power issue.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 October 2015 - 10:29 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

The system is a HP Phoenix Envy H9-1300. I am still baffled that this issue happened after failed/corrupted drivers didn't install after updating itunes. That is why I instantly thought it was a failed HDD due to the bad files.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

And...are you getting a system beep when you power up? Or did your system ever have that keyboard recognition beep (some don't)?

You might try swapping the monitor with a different one and re-plug the cables.

If you have an optical mouse, check the bottom to see if the laser light is on when you try to power up.

#11 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

No system beep. it boots up normally just there's no display, and no usb power but everything else is working, cpu, fans, etc. I took all the ram out and booted up and got 4 beeps which i heard is normal meaning the system knows it's missing memory. I tried each stick seperately, system boots up, again, just no display. I've only gotten the display once after a cmos bios reset (removed cmos battery for 5 minutes) and the screen that appeared just gave some basic system information and said something like bios has been reset to default. i had usb power at that time but couldnt do anything or go into any options within bios. this occured when i tried with a different HDD. obviously i didnt expect it to actually go into windows since the HDD was from a completely different system, but i wanted to test out the HDD figuring it might be defective. I was thinking of picking up a replacement PSU and seeing if that's the issue.

UPDATE:

After looking over my board again, I just saw and realized that there was a black cap covering 2 DVI onboard connectors. So I removed the video card and plugged the monitor into the onboard DVI port and there was still no display. It said "please check video cable" after turning the monitor on and off. Sounds like a faulty mobo now?

Edited by negativefx83, 17 October 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

I like to test all the easy things first before starting to replace things randomly hoping to find the problem. If you got a 'monitor cable" message, try taking them at their word. Check the monitor cable for bent pins, check the monitor power cable for cracks/breaks, and find a different monitor-anything you can get your hands on for 10 minutes-and swap it to check. 

However, if you are not getting the keyboard recognition beep on boot from the system, that is a mainboard problem. If you have an optical mouse plugged into a rear USB port and it doesn't light up, that is another mainboard problem indicator.

#13 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

I like to test all the easy things first before starting to replace things randomly hoping to find the problem. If you got a 'monitor cable" message, try taking them at their word. Check the monitor cable for bent pins, check the monitor power cable for cracks/breaks, and find a different monitor-anything you can get your hands on for 10 minutes-and swap it to check. 

However, if you are not getting the keyboard recognition beep on boot from the system, that is a mainboard problem. If you have an optical mouse plugged into a rear USB port and it doesn't light up, that is another mainboard problem indicator.

yeah im not getting any usb power to my mouse or keyboard and no beeping, which is why i originally thought it was a mobo issue. the monitor works because it works plugged into my laptop using hdmi and dvi.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

Sounds like mainboard. Possibly the power supply; if you have a tester now is the time to use it.

#15 negativefx83

negativefx83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a tester so I'll have to wait until the mainboard arrives in hopes... :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users