Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB input turns screen black

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tschec713

tschec713

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

Whenever I plug in any USB device into this specific port the screen turns black, by that point I have already unplugged it knowing that it's probably a bad sign. The jack has two ports put together, only the top one has issues.

Later on I noticed that the port having issues doesn't have the small plastic piece to guide the prongs, which resulted in bending them. I attempted to bend them back. They all slide in fine, but I still get a black screen when I plug something in ( I've also tried other devices with the same outcome )

Is there a possibility that replacing the missing plastic piece would resolve my issue?

This is on a Lenovo Thinkpad T510

Thanks,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

I would not attempt to repair a USB port on a laptop. I'd even have to have a very compelling reason to attempt it on a desktop. If you can live without it do so. If you can't, then it may be time for a new motherboard. If the computer is still under warranty you might be able to get some help from the manufacturer.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 tschec713

tschec713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

I suppose I could live with it, but honestly I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making this post if I wanted to just deal with it. Lol

I'll have to look into mobos, I bought it off of eBay so I'm not really sure where it stands on the warranty.

Why exactly wouldn't I want to do any repairs other than the possible result of human error?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

You would need to completely tear down the laptop and remove the motherboard. You can see this video on what you would be dealing with.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#5 tschec713

tschec713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

Didn't really want to buy a whole knew mobo just because one of the ports is possibly junk. That and one quick Google search at first glance tells me that I would be spending more than I paid for the entire laptop.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

You would not be purchasing a new MB but a new USB connector, removing the old and soldering on a new.

#7 tschec713

tschec713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

I figured I'd end up doing that. Just wanted to see if there were any other options.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

None that I can see. That USB connector is damaged and needs to be replaced. If you can live without it, I would go that route or get yourself a USB hub if you need additional ports.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 October 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#9 tschec713

tschec713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

Well I do have a hub, and honestly it's usually a pain to get two USB devices plugged in at the same time on the doubled jacks anyways (with flash drives usually). I'll probably just live with it unless there are any other suggestions, it was just bothering me considering I just bought this last April.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Edited by tschec713, 17 October 2015 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users