Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not recognize any hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Khaines0625

Khaines0625

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

I wanted to buy a new hard drive for more space and so I looked in my tower and found the hard drive, took a look at it so that I would know to get a similar one as an upgrade.  After plugging the hard drive back in my computer reads:

"Reboot and Select proper boot device"

I then bought a new hard drive and a new SATA3 cable.  Plugged them both in and get the same result.  I tried popping in my windows 7 loading disk and it cant find a drive to install windows on.  The BIOS does not recognize that I have a hard drive plugged in either(though it does recognize my DVD drive.) I've tried plugging the the cable into a different SATA port on my mobo and still nothing.

The cables are certainly plugged in firmly.  How can I get my machine to recognize the hard drive?

Motherboard:  Gigabyte Z77-HD3

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Is the motherboard the one previously used for the Win 7 install?

That board employs UEFI.

Louis

#3 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yes, the exact same motherboard. Frankly IDK much about UEFi.  From what google says it seems to be almost like a BIOS replacer?

Edited by Khaines0625, 15 October 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Well...if that were my motherboard, I would go through the MB manual extensively...before trying to install Windows.  My understanding is that there are noteworthy differences between what one may have to do with UEFI-based boards, as opposed to what one did with BIOS-based boards.

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

I am not sure this is your problem but see page 51 of your manual. Make sure your SATA controllers are enabled and mode set to AHCI.

You may want to power cycle the computer also. Remove any power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and reboot.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hate to ask the obvious but the HDD is connected directly to the power supply using a SATA power connector is it?

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

I looked at page 51 of the manual and all of my settings are same as was shown on that page.  I tried holding power cycling the computer as instructed and there is no change.

The HDD is connected directly to the motherboard.  Its the same port as it was when it was working.

Edited by Khaines0625, 15 October 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#8 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think an obvious first thing to check is to go into the UEFI (BIOS replacement :)) and see if it's recognizing that the drive is there.  Then check your boot order and settings like secure boot, legacy boot, etc. to see what might be preventing it from recognizing it as a viable boot device.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

The HDD is connected directly to the motherboard.  Its the same port as it was when it was working.

You've connected it to the power supply also though, right?

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Oh boy... this is embarassing.  I didn't remember unplugging a second cable that was connected to the hard drive when I removed it... which is apparently for power.  Plugged it in and it works like normal.  Sorry to waste your time...  Thanks much for the help though.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Well done, Jonuk :).

Louis

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

No problem, I've done the same myself   :hysterical:

I was also going to say, if you're installing Windows 7 to a 3Tb drive, theres a few things to be aware of (as hard drive larger than 2Tb).

Windows (and it MUST be a 64 bit version) has to be installed in "UEFI Mode" which will allow it to format the disk with a GPT partition scheme.  To do this, the Boot Mode Selection in BIOS must not be set to "Legacy Boot Only", and you need to boot from the DVD using the option which will look something "UEFI: <Your DVD Model Number>" rather than "P# : <Your DVD Drive Model Number>".

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

My next suggestion was going to be:

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?.....Well try that!"

#14 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

My intention was to keep using my existing 1TB hard drive that already has windows 7 installed on it and plug in my new 3TB hard drive and just use it as just a storage place.  I assumed setting this up would be easy.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

My intention was to keep using my existing 1TB hard drive that already has windows 7 installed on it and plug in my new 3TB hard drive and just use it as just a storage place.  I assumed setting this up would be easy.

Adding it as a data drive it is easy :) You can disregard my instructions about booting in UEFI mode etc.  That is only if you wanted to install Windows on the 3Tb drive, which I'd assumed you did, for some reason.  EDIT It still needs to be formatted with a GPT partition type (rather than MBR) through through Windows Disk Management.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 October 2015 - 01:37 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users