I thought I was fairly savvy about PC's until this issue.
Note that I am using Xfinity's native email. The only working email I have now.
Just listen to this.
1. It all started with no Eudora all of a sudden (Access denied ) Nothing
changed on my end AFAIK. Comcast port specs all in order.
2. Installed & configured Thunderbird - same error message.
3. Also at the same time, XNews & Alt.binz can't connect - that's an NNTP server
rejection, I believe.
4. Checked Windows firewall, made sure ( I *think* all these progs are getting thru - made no
difference. Person from Blocknews told me to turn off PeerBlock - made no difference.
5. Re-installed Eudora - same error message.
6. Even set up Outlook - can't connect in or out.
7. The latest reboot presented me with a user called Admin, in addition to my usual
user name. Tried Admin. Radically different desktop, shortcuts to a few progs only,
with no folders at all. I can go back & forth with no probs, but now of course I have
to log out of one before logging into the other. This is brand new today.
8. Called Comcast. They threw up their hands in short order. (I'm assuming - I didn't actually see them.)
9. So as of tonight - no local email, no Usenet. Firefox works fine. Everything is
one hell of a mess. (And we have been using PC's since 1985, remember?)
10. I am about ready to dowse the system with lighter fluid and toss a match at it.
Of course, I do have a brand new 1 Tb hard drive still in the box from NewEgg, and I know what
you're gonna say, but unless/until I get a clue about what's going on *now*, how do I know this
whole barnyard musical won't happen again?
Installing the new hard drive and setting it up would take me a couple of weeks, if I'm lucky.
In any case I probably should just go with a SSD, install my (legal) copy of Win 7 Pro, and
reinstall my progs on the new hard drive. Or am I overlooking something?
Comments? Thoughts? (Try to contain your laughter.)
Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 October 2015 - 12:30 PM.