Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email problems, then a medley of headaches.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fritzb43

fritzb43

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

I thought I was fairly savvy about PC's until this issue.

Note that I am using Xfinity's native email. The only working email I have now.

Just listen to this.

1. It all started with no Eudora all of a sudden (Access denied [10013]) Nothing
changed on my end AFAIK. Comcast port specs all in order.

2. Installed & configured Thunderbird - same error message.

3. Also at the same time, XNews & Alt.binz can't connect - that's an NNTP server
rejection, I believe.

4. Checked Windows firewall, made sure ( I *think* all these progs are getting thru - made no
difference. Person from Blocknews told me to turn off PeerBlock - made no difference.

5. Re-installed Eudora - same error message.

6. Even set up Outlook - can't connect in or out.

7. The latest reboot presented me with a user called Admin, in addition to my usual
user name. Tried Admin. Radically different desktop, shortcuts to a few progs only,
with no folders at all. I can go back & forth with no probs, but now of course I have
to log out of one before logging into the other. This is brand new today.

8. Called Comcast. They threw up their hands in short order. (I'm assuming - I didn't actually see them.)

9. So as of tonight - no local email, no Usenet. Firefox works fine. Everything is
one hell of a mess. (And we have been using PC's since 1985, remember?)

10. I am about ready to dowse the system with lighter fluid and toss a match at it.
==================================================================

Of course, I do have a brand new 1 Tb hard drive still in the box from NewEgg, and I know what
you're gonna say, but unless/until I get a clue about what's going on *now*, how do I know this
whole barnyard musical won't happen again?

Installing the new hard drive and setting it up would take me a couple of weeks, if I'm lucky.
In any case I probably should just go with a SSD, install my (legal) copy of Win 7 Pro, and
reinstall my progs on the new hard drive. Or am I overlooking something?

Comments? Thoughts? (Try to contain your laughter.)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 October 2015 - 12:30 PM.
language edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users