Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound through audio jack or laptop speakers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamgo1

jamgo1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

I have my computer playing audio through the 1/8" audio jack connected to a yamaha amplifier then to my speakers. A few days ago I had some Idiot cross some speaker wires with a screw driver. Right after he did that there was a loud pop and my computer shut off. usually it would just put the amp into protection mode but this time it didnt. It took a while for the computer to turn back on but when it did, the realtek hd audio manager has completely dissapeared and I cant find it anywhere. the sound doesnt work through my laptop speakers or audio jack. so i tried uninstalling the realtek drivers, restarting, reinstalling them and a bunch of other stuff but nothing is showing up. It doesnt even show up in my device manager.   the only playback device is: Intel® Display audio. under Sound, Video and game controllers. Which is my tv through my hdmi cable.  Also there is no problem devices in msinfo32 components.

Any ideas?

Laptop: Asus x550L with windows 8.1

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2015 - 07:22 AM.
Moved from A/V Apps to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

Wow. If you can remember, did the "loud pop" come through the speakers, or from inside your laptop?  I know this is probably difficult to remember since it happened quickly but if you can remember it would be helpful.

At this point all I can suggest is to try a system restore from a date immediately before all this happened. Hopefully all you have is a corrupted sound file and this may fix it.  If the loud sound came from inside your computer you will need to open it up and check for capacitors that may have been damaged, but this is more difficult to do than with a desktop computer and may take a serviceman.

Another option is to do a complete operating system restore from the restore partition that is on your hard drive; this means that you will have to reinstall all your programs, and save your existing data to a flash drive, DVD, etc. If that doesn't do it, then you have a damaged component in the laptop, possibly on the motherboard itself.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 jamgo1

jamgo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

I dont recall the sound coming from the laptop.  I have a big speaker system and it plays loud.  also the pop was alot louder than anything that could have came from the laptop.  so it could have popped aswell but it wouldnt have been audible over the speakers popping.  I'll try a system restore and maybe take it in somewhere to have it opened up and checked out.  I have most of my important stuff backed up to a external hard drive.  I'll keep you updated

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Ok....the loud sound was most likely coming from your speakers and they screamed in pain from someone shorting the leads.  Hopefully there is no damage to them or your amplifier. I was concerned that the short popped a capacitor on your laptop mainboard, but it doesn't seem to be that problem, fortunately.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 jamgo1

jamgo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

Yeah my sound system is working fine, I can still use other devices with them and i can still get sound out of my laptop through my usb.  good thing because I need the sound through usb for djing.  now to find out why i cant get sound out of my headphone jack because I use that alot aswell while at home.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

Ok, well, try the system restore first (if you haven't done it already) and see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users