Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large Downloads Make My Internet Go Down

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bameX

bameX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:51 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem recently that's been driving me absolutely nuts.

Problem:

Whenever I try to download a large file, be it through a video game patcher or utorrent, my computer's internet connection goes down completely shortly after the download starts. When I say down, I mean I get the yellow exclamation point in the bottom right. When I troubleshoot my connection, windows gives me the following error, "Problems found - Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)". It's very difficult to restore internet when this happens, usually requiring me to use System Restore to an earlier save point. When I do this, the problem still remains if I try and download again.

I should mention my ISP says everything is good on their end, and my modem looks as if everything's fine. Also, I'm able to normally browse the internet, listen to Pandora, and watch Hulu It's only when I try to download a large file that this happens.

Solutions I've Tried:

• Scanned for Malware C: (Main) & D: (SSD, currently being used to backup important docs) = 0 results
  • Changed computers DNS settings to "Open" and Google DNS addresses
  • Disabled IPV6
  • Receive Side Scaling - Disabled
  • Changed Ethernet Controller Power Management Settings - Not Allow
  • Updated Ethernet Controller Driver (Uninstalled and Reinstalled as well)
  • Bypassed Router
  • Replaced Ethernet cable
  • Reformatted computer
  • Reset Modem (using that small button in the back)
  • Had ISP update my Modem's firmware
Still, the problem persists. I have about 3 hairs left on my head due to this problem. If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by bameX, 15 October 2015 - 01:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dorrance

Dorrance

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

To my previous experience it might be your modem.

#3 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

To my previous experience it might be your modem.

Thanks Dorrance. I scheduled a service technician visit tomorrow, and I will urge them to replace the modem. My ISP threatens a $50.00 charge if I can't reproduce the problem during the time they're here, or if they find the problem to not be on their end. Because of this, I am desperately trying to find other fixes before my appointment to avoid that potential charge. If I don't solve my problem before that appointment rolls around, I will report back if the new modem they provide solves the issue or not. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas I can try, please chime in.

Edited by bameX, 15 October 2015 - 01:43 AM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:34 AM

Do you have another PC or Laptop to try on the connection and do same results appear ?

When it happens there is no need to use System Restore , just try the Modem reset , or disable the network driver and reboot.

What System do you have XP Win7 ?

I agree also with Dorrance : Modem !  Can you try another one or update the firmware and retest.

#5 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:41 AM

Hey Havachat, thanks for the reply!

Do you have another PC or Laptop to try on the connection and do same results appear ?

I don't unfortunately, only a smartphone.

When it happens there is no need to use System Restore , just try the Modem reset , or disable the network driver and reboot.

Good to know. I have tried the modem reset which doesn't work, but I haven't tried disabling the network driver and rebooting. I will try that next time.

What System do you have XP Win7 ?

I'm on Windows 7

I agree also with Dorrance : Modem !  Can you try another one or update the firmware and retest.

Good to know two people think it's a Modem issue. I don't have a second one to test this at the moment. Hopefully, tomorrow's technician visit will solve this headache. I did have Sudden Link update the firmware tonight, but it didn't change anything.

I also want to note, I just replaced my graphics card. This problem seems to have started just after that. I can't imagine these problems are related, but it is a coincidence that may be worth mentioning. 

Edited by bameX, 15 October 2015 - 01:43 AM.

#6 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Update: Today I had an "Advanced Tech" replace my modem. I was able to recreate the problem with the new modem, and the Tech threw his hands up and left, problem still in tact. I'm at a loss.

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

IMO, it's not a problem with "large" downloads, it's a problem with too many utorrent connections at once. Adjust your utorrent settings so it doesn't flood your connection and disconnect it. Search online for utorrent settings guides.

#8 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hey Sparklestar! Thanks for trying to help. 

IMO, it's not a problem with "large" downloads, it's a problem with too many utorrent connections at once. Adjust your utorrent settings so it doesn't flood your connection and disconnect it. Search online for utorrent settings guides.

This is an interesting point. The question is, why would this problem be happening all of a sudden when I've never experienced this problem before (I've been torrenting with no problems for the past 4 years on this comp)? My issue also occurs when I'm downloading a video game through a patcher. I've tested it with both the League of Legends installer and the RU version of Black Desert Online.

#9 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

Those patchers are also torrents with the same problem. I have all of a sudden had some crazy problems that came out of nowhere too, and had to change settings to troubleshoot it. Then iirc in the end I think I changed it back and the problem was gone which makes no sense. I have had the issue of too many connections lots of times over the years, sometimes with torrents, sometimes with game browsers that are pinging 100's of servers very quickly. I don't really know what the solutions are because it would usually go away before I truly figured out how to fix it. I suspect windows level stuff, router, ISP, who knows. But I think you should be able to throttle down the connections in the torrent settings until it works.

This is random, but also check that your hard drives have 15% space (are not red). My 2nd and super weak theory is that something is slow about your harddrives and it's so slow that it can't keep up with the torrent so it's crapping out somehow.

Or it could be your computer trying to tell you it's 2015 and you should play Dota instead of LoL :bananas:

#10 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this, to see if I can limit my connections on my patchers as well as my torrenting client.

As for my moba preference, I've tried to make the switch, but I just can't bring myself to do it! I miss the ability to recall, and I hate the courier.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:12 PM

You get used to it after about 300 games :P  tbh they are really totally different games though

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:34 PM

Install latest version of network card driver if latest version of the driver wont solve the issue then install previous version of the network card driver as latest version driver could be buggy.

Also resets Winsock entries & resets TCP/IP stack.

This repair will also restore the Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys.

Open Notepad copy/paste below commands to Notepad save the file as ResetTCP.bat  before running the batch script close all programs and save your open works and run the ResetTCP.bat as a administrator when this batch script finnish your computer will need to be restart.

@Echo Off & Cls

Call :IsAdmin

netsh winsock reset all 2> nul

netsh int 6to4 reset all   2> nul

netsh int ipv4 reset all   2> nul

netsh int ipv6 reset all   2> nul

netsh int httpstunnel reset all  2> nul

netsh int isatap reset all   2> nul

netsh int portproxy reset all   2> nul

netsh int tcp reset all  2> nul

netsh int teredo reset all   2> nul

Sc config Dnscache start= auto

Cls & Mode CON  LINES=4 COLS=48 & Color 0E
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo  Finish
resetting Winsock catolog & resetting TCP/IP stack.

Ping -n 4 localhost >Nul
Cls & Mode CON  LINES=7 COLS=52 & Color 0E
Echo THIS SYSTEM WILL REBOOT.
Echo.
Echo PLEASE SAVE ALL WORK IN PROGRESS.
Echo.
Echo Press 'ENTER' Key To Reboot System.
Pause >Nul
Shutdown /r /t 5 /c "REBOOTING THE SYSTEM"
Exit

:IsAdmin
Reg query "HKU\S-1-5-19\Environment"
If Not %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
 Cls & Mode CON  LINES=5 COLS=48 & Color 0C & Title .... WARNING ....
 Echo.
 Echo.
 Echo  YOU MUST HAVE ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS TO CONTINUE
 Pause >Nul & Exit
)
Cls
Goto :EOF

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 October 2015 - 11:35 PM.

Posted Image

#13 bameX

bameX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

Hi FreeBooter,

Thank you for responding. I had previously updated my Network Card driver, so I went and downloaded the previous version and installed it. The problem still persisted.

I then created the ResetTCP bat file as you instructed, and ran it. After my computer restarted, I tried to replicate the problem, and it did pretty well. I was hopeful because my download did seem to last longer than it normally does, but about 10 minutes into it, the problem happened again, so unfortunately it wasn't the solution.

I do appreciate the help though.

Edited by bameX, 16 October 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:02 AM

Use the SysPerf program i created no need to worry about reverting changes back to there original settings if you don`t like the settings that SysPerf program made. SysPerf program creates backups of the settings it will modify you will have a option to revert back the Windows settings to there original values. Download link and discription of the SysPerf program can be found at below website URL link.

http://www.whitehatforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users