Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BCDEDIT / Trying to add 2nd HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TreeDT

TreeDT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

I am trying to add a second hard drive to my HP laptop, both drives have Windows Vista and are healthy.  I can see both drives in Windows Explorer and access the files of both.  They are both listed on the Computer Management and Device Manager.  My BIOS does not show the option for a second hard drive to be used for booting.  In order to add the device I have tried to use BCDEDIT.  The error I keep getting is that "a description for the new entry must be specified".  Here is what my log shows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>bcdedit.exe

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {f9fef231-d622-11dc-a957-b443ad44f611}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72001}
                        {memdiag}
timeout                 30
resume                  No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {f9fef231-d622-11dc-a957-b443ad44f611}
nx                      OptIn
bootlog                 No

The command that I tried to run was as follows:

bcdedit /copy {current} /f "Vista F Drive"

Not sure what to try at this point in order to get this finally work.  Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

I believe this won't work since you are trying to boot from two identical OSs. also, unless the second HD came out of an identical HP computer it almost certainly won't have the correct and necessary drivers on it. further, I would have to ask what is the point of trying to boot from either of two copies of the same OS ?  Would you not be better just formatting this second drive and using it for additional data storage ?

I run Win 7 and I have run XP in a VM on my 'C' drive and my own computer dual boots into Win 7 or Linux Mint but Mint is installed on a separate hard drive, although it would work just as well in a separate partition. Are you trying to fit this HS internally or via a USB connection ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users