Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strong passwords

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

All security forums and other IT people preach about using complex passwords and not easily guessed user names.

Yet I have been noticeing many company web sites are complaining my passwords are too long and complex.

I have even had a few that limited it to 4 numbers.  My grand daughter has a password cracker that can break a 4 digit password in less than an hour. She is only 10 and not a hacker in anyway. LOL

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

All security forums and other IT people preach about using complex passwords and not easily guessed user names.

Yes and there is a reason for that...it has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

2013 was a wildly visible year for cyber security and online privacy...And yet for all the visibility, punditry, and drama, new data suggests that internet users are still terrible at choosing a good password...

Its 2014 And Our Passwords Arent Getting Better

Password Resources
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

How is it the users fault that the company they have to do business with, will not allow them to use a strong complex password.

For example the local and only electric utility company will not allow greater than a 6 digit code alpha numeric only and no mix of upper and lower case letters and no symbols. Other than online paying I have to travel 5 miles to pay my bill.  They charge $2 extra for a check and $1 extra if you pay cash.  What is with that I have often wondered?

Or are you including the company itself as a user?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

Typically it is the user who chooses to use a weak password so that is one reason why they are categorized as the weakest link. In your scenario, the company appears to be a contributing factor by not permitting them to not use a strong/secure password.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users