Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Should I Add Some Beef?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hi All!

My computer is nearing 5 years old. It is a home built PC that has seen many years of gaming, and many issues that I have mostly resolved. Here are my specs!

Intel Core I7 920 @ 2.67GHz

AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series

Foxconn BloodRage GTI LGA 1366 Intel Motherboard 

2 x seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drives

Mushkin Advanced 6Gb (3x2gb) DDR3 RAM

Corsair Bronze CMPSU-750TX 750 Watt Psu

All wrapped up in a cooler Master Haf 932

Now my computer has had a lot of problems, CMOS batteries that would not register unless I reset setting in BIOS (Only way to turn on my PC sometimes), having to hit the power button 20 times to dispel electricity, freezes, occasional blue screen ect. ect. 

I would like to continue using my PC through college, any help to upgrade it up to speed would help!

I have 600 dollars to my name, but essentially I would only like to pay 100-200 maximum to tune it up

Thank you

Ryan 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

I should probably add that one of the weird thing it likes to do is display a black screen and check every file linerally for about 10 minutes in a scrolling text fashion on every other startup or so!

I am not sure if this computer is worth upgrading, or if I should expect it to be SOL 

Thanks!

RYan

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

Now my computer has had a lot of problems, CMOS batteries that would not register unless I reset setting in BIOS (Only way to turn on my PC sometimes), having to hit the power button 20 times to dispel electricity, freezes, occasional blue screen ect. ect. 

I think that's more of a issue then the hardware being old. Sounds like the motherboard is going out. Frankly not surprised since it's both Foxconn (not exactly the highest quality of boards) and the hard to stabilize 1366 platform. The chipset has so many functions and is so complex that many manufactures have a hard time keeping them stable. Even high grade manufactures like ASUS or Gigabyte have a hard time and usually take a few months after release to release a BIOS that makes their boards stable.

Try a BIOS updated, and maybe a New BIOS battery. 

That CPU is actually AMAZING for overclocking. Would seriously take one of those stable at 4.5 or 5Ghz over my current CPU at stock. I had one for a while, but I got a really bad chip and it was on a board not necessarily designed for overclocking.... didn't go well. 

What'd I do (if you can get your board stable)-

1- By a 4GB stick to replace one of the 2GB sticks getting 8Gb of total RAM. Maybe buy two 4GB sticks for 45$ and have 10GB total (DDR3 is cheap right now).

2- See if the CPU cooler has any headroom, if not buy one of the Crosair 60$ 120mm all-in-one liquid coolers, and then OC the crap out of the CPU. 

3- Buy a beefy GPU. Thinking Nvidia GTX 970, AMD R9 390 or AMD R9 390X. 

Buying a cheap 120GB or 240GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD would also be nice. Wouldn't effect FPS much in games, but it definitely improves your general PC quality of life. Once you go SSD as your C drive you don't go back. Hard disck storage is also pretty cheap. A 1TB drive is 55$ and a 4TB is 135$. So if you think you'd use the additional storage that's something you might want to do.

Edit:

Wanted to add that CPU OC'ed to 5Ghz creams my 4690K at stock 3.5 Ghz. Seriously, real good OC CPU if you can cool it and have a stable board that can handle that.

Edited by SEANIA, 15 October 2015 - 12:58 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

I think that's more of a issue then the hardware being old. Sounds like the motherboard is going out. Frankly not surprised since it's both Foxconn (not exactly the highest quality of boards) and the hard to stabilize 1366 platform. The chipset has so many functions and is so complex that many manufactures have a hard time keeping them stable. Even high grade manufactures like ASUS or Gigabyte have a hard time and usually take a few months after release to release a BIOS that makes their boards stable.

Try a BIOS updated, and maybe a New BIOS battery. 

That CPU is actually AMAZING for overclocking. Would seriously take one of those stable at 4.5 or 5Ghz over my current CPU at stock. I had one for a while, but I got a really bad chip and it was on a board not necessarily designed for overclocking.... didn't go well. 

What'd I do (if you can get your board stable)-

1- By a 4GB stick to replace one of the 2GB sticks getting 8Gb of total RAM. Maybe buy two 4GB sticks for 45$ and have 10GB total (DDR3 is cheap right now).

2- See if the CPU cooler has any headroom, if not buy one of the Crosair 60$ 120mm all-in-one liquid coolers, and then OC the crap out of the CPU. 

3- Buy a beefy GPU. Thinking Nvidia GTX 970, AMD R9 390 or AMD R9 390X. 

Buying a cheap 120GB or 240GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD would also be nice. Wouldn't effect FPS much in games, but it definitely improves your general PC quality of life. Once you go SSD as your C drive you don't go back. Hard disck storage is also pretty cheap. A 1TB drive is 55$ and a 4TB is 135$. So if you think you'd use the additional storage that's something you might want to do.

Edit:

Wanted to add that CPU OC'ed to 5Ghz creams my 4690K at stock 3.5 Ghz. Seriously, real good OC CPU if you can cool it and have a stable board that can handle that.

Wow thanks for all the tips! The CMOS battery is relatively fresh, I replaced it less than a year ago! I'm working on the BIOS update, Foxconn's drivers are very difficult for me to work on so I may call tomorrow. 

The RAM I agree on the upgrade will do assuming I can get the other issues fixed

About the GPU, how would I know if I need it? Because I can run every video game I have ever wanted on pretty high settings.?

I never knew about the CPU overclock-ability! Will definitely look in to that. What do you mean by headroom though?

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

What do you mean by headroom though?

Thermal headroom. CPUs have a max temperature you have to keep them below or else they damage themselves. When you OC it makes more heat. So you need to know how much thermal headroom you have so you know if you have any room to overclock. 

About the GPU, how would I know if I need it? Because I can run every video game I have ever wanted on pretty high settings.?

It's the main limitation of the system.  Everything else is pretty up to spec, but the GPU is to weak to run the games the CPU is capable off when OCed. 

I am referring to tipple A games released in the last year or two. A 970 or 290X would be the max graphics card that would be balanced in it (if the CPU is OCed like I said). You asked where to add some beef and that's the area where it could use it the most. 

I don't know what kind of new games you're playing that couldn't use it. Are you running a 720p screen or something? cause that's the only use case scenario I can think of where it's still able to run new triple A games.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

Oh Ok I will look into the thermal headroom.

Well the beefiest game I have is probably GTA5, which I run on high settings. But I also run Planetary Anihilation, Starcraft 2, Chivarly, ect. all to my liking. I also have the Lenovo Y50 which has pretty decent specs like the 860M 

#7 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:16 PM

Trying to update my BIOS using the newest file on foxconns website http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000446 but it does not support 64bit. Idk what to do I looked at some outdated forums with little help.

Thanks

Ryan

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/driverdownload/Motherboard/Intel/Socket1366/Bloodrage/BIOS/8A1F1P11.zip

What's keeping you from running that? 

What's your screens resolution?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:50 AM

Just so you know that is a triple channel motherboard and you wouldn't want to mix memory with different sizes anyways. If you upgrade memory you must buy a triple channel kit of 3 modules all the same. As always check the motherboard manual specs sheet for memory and max supported memory and modules tested. Quickly looking at the specs the motherboard supports DDR3 12G of memory up to 1800mhz 3x4G modules.

You should install speccy and publish a snapshot so others can see the details of your system. Instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

BSOD issues...

Failing corrupt hard drive

Failing motherboard

PSU unit failing

Memory failing

Memory settings

System overclocked

Video card Overclocked

Outdated motherboard chipset drivers

Outdate bios

Any combination of these

Note: Overclocking a system can lead to future failing hardware.

Edited by technonymous, 16 October 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#10 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Thanks  :thumbup2:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/driverdownload/Motherboard/Intel/Socket1366/Bloodrage/BIOS/8A1F1P11.zip

What's keeping you from running that? 

What's your screens resolution? 

I get a message saying the upgrade does not support 64 bit processors    https://gyazo.com/89c3a2c46fe82766de25d824e1fc74c8

And my screen resolution is 1920 x 1080

Just so you know that is a triple channel motherboard and you wouldn't want to mix memory with different sizes anyways. If you upgrade memory you must buy a triple channel kit of 3 modules all the same. As always check the motherboard manual specs sheet for memory and max supported memory and modules tested. Quickly looking at the specs the motherboard supports DDR3 12G of memory up to 1800mhz 3x4G modules.

You should install speccy and publish a snapshot so others can see the details of your system. Instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

BSOD issues...

Failing corrupt hard drive

Failing motherboard

PSU unit failing

Memory failing

Memory settings

System overclocked

Video card Overclocked

Outdated motherboard chipset drivers

Outdate bios

Any combination of these

Note: Overclocking a system can lead to future failing hardware.

Thanks Technonymous this a nifty program. Here ya go!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GDu4dvkvURfsUfka7DInDKZ

Edited by WitchCyborg, 16 October 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

I get a message saying the upgrade does not support 64 bit processors    https://gyazo.com/89c3a2c46fe82766de25d824e1fc74c8

Ah that sucks. Means you'd have manually do the update :/  pain to do. 

GTAV isn't that demanding. Not to surprised you could run it decently after I double checked the requirements. It was designed for some mass compatibility, IE it scales well across hardware. Nvidias 9800GT GPU from 2008 still has enough oomph to run it. 

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

You could breath new life into this system IF you can find a LGA1366 replacement motherboard with updated things on it like Sata3 instead of sata2. Your hard drives are sata2. Also one with USB 3.0 instead of all USB 2.0 etc.

Finding a LGA1366 motherboard is difficult. They  are priced really high even for a used one. Since you're having BSOD's and problems like that I would say this is a good time to replace the cpu and motherboard and memory in one shot. Sell your other items.

A intel LGA 1150 I7-4790k Devil's canyon
$339.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

MSI Z97 LGA1150
$149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3 1866 2x4GB 240pin
$47.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

Note: Your video card is weaksauce. I am sure you already know that. That expense can come later. If the video card is the one causing the problems. With this new setup you can atleast resort to the intel I7-4790k's built in video. The motherboard has a vga/DVI port on it. Intel and AMD chips these days has built in video cards. This doesn't lower the performance at all. The onboard is simply disabled the second you put in a slot video card. It's a good backup incase something does go south. I would plan on also buying into better hard drives sata3 or a combination of a SSD for the OS and HD for backup and keep the 500's you do have as storage as well. By the way any cpu that is intel that ends with k means the chip is unlocked for overclock. Even though you have a i7-LGA1366 this I7-4790k LGA1150 will dance circles around 920. It's all new better architecture. Even a i5 is faster than that 920. Hope this help you out!

~Technonymous

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

Oh and by the way your temps look good, hard drives (SMART) health looks good and your voltage is great.

#14 WitchCyborg

WitchCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

You could breath new life into this system IF you can find a LGA1366 replacement motherboard with updated things on it like Sata3 instead of sata2. Your hard drives are sata2. Also one with USB 3.0 instead of all USB 2.0 etc.

Finding a LGA1366 motherboard is difficult. They  are priced really high even for a used one. Since you're having BSOD's and problems like that I would say this is a good time to replace the cpu and motherboard and memory in one shot. Sell your other items.

$339.99

MSI Z97 LGA1150
$149.99

$47.99

Note: Your video card is weaksauce. I am sure you already know that. That expense can come later. If the video card is the one causing the problems. With this new setup you can atleast resort to the intel I7-4790k's built in video. The motherboard has a vga/DVI port on it. Intel and AMD chips these days has built in video cards. This doesn't lower the performance at all. The onboard is simply disabled the second you put in a slot video card. It's a good backup incase something does go south. I would plan on also buying into better hard drives sata3 or a combination of a SSD for the OS and HD for backup and keep the 500's you do have as storage as well. By the way any cpu that is intel that ends with k means the chip is unlocked for overclock. Even though you have a i7-LGA1366 this I7-4790k LGA1150 will dance circles around 920. It's all new better architecture. Even a i5 is faster than that 920. Hope this help you out!

~Technonymous

Thanks! Those are a bit expensive. While I want to improve it, I do not have the financial ability or need to take such a huge leap forward since my computer is still running well and I have a laptop that can handle everything as well. I will keep your ideas saved for when I have a bit more ability to make those purchases. The RAM I can easily do. 

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:26 AM

$339.99

MSI Z97 LGA1150
$149.99

$47.99

~Technonymous

Thanks! Those are a bit expensive. While I want to improve it, I do not have the financial ability or need to take such a huge leap forward since my computer is still running well and I have a laptop that can handle everything as well. I will keep your ideas saved for when I have a bit more ability to make those purchases. The RAM I can easily do. 

Yes, intel is more expensive than AMD. I agree try and keep what you have. However, if the motherboard is going out you may not have much of a choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users