Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dota 2 text files suggest possiblity of half life 3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jman005

Jman005

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Yes, right when you read the title you probably thought this was just some silly prank someone put up to get people exited about Half life 3. However, this comes right from the Dota 2 program files (at least according to SteamDatabase):

An update to DOTA 2's code has revealed something quite interesting; Half-Life 3 text files. The update was detailed in the SteamDatabase on GitHub and it could either be a hoax or an accidental upload from Valve.

Either way, the text files contain a number of strings that offer commands for some sort of 'Tool Tip' or 'Help' function. The text file is titled 'hl3.txt' and doesn't offer very many exposing details -- but it does mention Hunters, an NPC that first appeared in Half-Life 2.

There are strings for things like "Attribute.npc_hunter_invincible.ignoreunseenenemies" that calls for the Hunter to "Prefer visible enemies, regardless of distance or relationship priority"

On top of references to Hunters, there are also references to Ziplining and NPC's that appear to be in a group with you.

source: http://www.gamezone.com/news/half-life-3-text-files-appear-in-dota-2-code-3426226

This could, of course, just be some files (or unused files) for half life 2 or source 2 accidentally uploaded to the Dota 2 program files. As Gamezone says, this could also just be a hoax but I think SteamDB is a pretty trustable source.

If you have any opinions comment them here.

-jman005

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:23 PM

It's a trustworthy source. That does not mean anything. It could easily be Half Life 2 assets in Dota, not Half Life 3 assets. "HL3" could be an abbreviation for anything. I wouldn't read too much in to it. 

On the other hand, Source engine 2 is out or coming out, plus there is that SteamBox thing that needs something to draw people to it... 

#3 Gyrlander

Gyrlander

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well. I'm quite optimistic with this info. I mean.. We have things about HL2 in a text called HL3... Too much of a coincidente!!

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'm still waiting for HL2 Episode 3.

#5 Jman005

Jman005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

I would take this all with a grain of salt. However I just thought it was quite interesting this file somehow got into the Dota 2 text files.

Well. I'm quite optimistic with this info. I mean.. We have things about HL2 in a text called HL3... Too much of a coincidente!!

*coincidence :wink: <_<

I'm pretty sure I've seen something before saying something was leaked with "hl3" in the name but it turned out to just be part of the old hl2 beta. So don't get your hopes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users