Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Credential Manager not retaining generic credentials

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 AWR

AWR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hello all,

We have a SharePoint webserver at our company. We sync contact list updates from the SharePoint server to our users who have Outlook.

Basically, when our users open Outlook, they are met with a login prompt as seen in the attachment to this post.

This is the credential prompt for our SharePoint server so it will sync their contact lists up.

Normally, the window comes pre-populated with a username and password, as seen in the attachment as well. This is because we use the "remember my credentials" feature that comes with that prompt.

However, now about 20 of our users are having problems when they open Outlook. The username and password boxes are completely blank.

To fix this, we go into Windows Credential Manager on their individual computer and add their credentials to the generic credentials section. This fixed the issue temporarily, for maybe a day or two. When they would restart or shut down the computer and power it back on, the credentials would be gone from the Windows Credential Manager. It would just appear to be blank, as if nothing was ever entered there.

This only started happening a couple of weeks ago. It was never a problem until then, so I'm wondering if some Windows update did something to break the credential manager. I have looked up various solutions for this and cannot seem to find one that works. These users are calling me multiple times a day, complaining that their Outlook lost the credentials, even after I've stored them in there several times. I even turned the credential manager service to 'automatic' instead of 'manual', but this did not make a difference.

Is anyone else having this problem? What can I do to fix it?

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it just seems to be happening to our Windows 7 users, so I figured it was a Windows 7 issue.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 08:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win Server - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AWR

AWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Still looking for a solution to this, if anyone has some suggestions for me to try. Thanks!

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

Sorry mate have been busy at work.

So you have this dialog when users open outlook? If so make sure that sharepoint is set to use NTLM authentication mate and not kerberos (This is the same as opening it in IE and navigating to the sharepoint address https://sharepoint.yourcompany.com, you should not have to manually login this way).

When using internete xplorer, it pulls the credentials you are using to login to windows.

if you tried it with mozilla you would have to manually login.

alternativley you could navigate to the sharepoint site and click on the contact list and then use the conenct to outlook drop down under actions (All done through IE) and then it should self update everytime they login.

You may need to add the domainmae\userID and pass then tick always remember.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 21 October 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#4 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am having the same issue.  Every 24 or 48hrs the credentials get deleted from my Windows Vault under generic credentials.

I have hosted exchange through Rackspace.  It not only affects Outlook, but it also affects Box Sync accounts.  So when I go in to their computer, I see that both are missing.  It will hold the passwords after a reboot, shutdown, etc, but then randomly it's gone.  First started with 1 user, then about a week later, 2 people had the problem, now today 4 people have the problem.  It is driving me nuts.

Outlook 2010

Computers not in a domain environment

AWR did you figure this out?

#5 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

AWR by chance do your users have a fingerprint readers on their laptops and use it to log into windows?  The four users so far on my side all have fingerprint readers.  All of my users have Lenovo X1 Carbon, some have readers some don't.  So far four of the users with readers have this issue.

#6 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

AWR try uninstalling KB3055034 from windows updates.  I found an article that this is causing similar issues.  I have done it on two of my machines, so it will take a few days to determine if that is the solution.

#7 AWR

AWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:14 PM

Sorry mate have been busy at work.

So you have this dialog when users open outlook? If so make sure that sharepoint is set to use NTLM authentication mate and not kerberos (This is the same as opening it in IE and navigating to the sharepoint address https://sharepoint.yourcompany.com, you should not have to manually login this way).

When using internete xplorer, it pulls the credentials you are using to login to windows.

if you tried it with mozilla you would have to manually login.

alternativley you could navigate to the sharepoint site and click on the contact list and then use the conenct to outlook drop down under actions (All done through IE) and then it should self update everytime they login.

You may need to add the domainmae\userID and pass then tick always remember.

Johnny,

Our SharePoint server is indeed using NTLM authentication. We are supposed to have the prompt come up when we open Outlook, it's been this way for years. However, it's only been recently that the prompt is coming up completely blank because it forgets the credentials. Usually when the window pops up, the credentials are there and our users just have to click OK and they're done. But now, the prompt is empty. We were able to "fix" this by going into Windows credential manager and adding their credentials under the "generic credentials" section. However, after a day or two, or a few reboots of the computer, Windows credential manager would just forget that the credential even existed. It basically deletes itself and the user has to go back into credential manager and enter it again, only to have it self-delete again later. Out of about 150 computers in our company, this has happened to about 20 people so far, all using Windows 7. However, not everyone using Windows 7 in our company is having the problem, it just seems to be an issue with certain Windows 7 machines. Some are on a domain, some aren't; domains don't seem to be the problem here. We also tried the domain\userID format, but that does not work, either. Again, this issue only recently came about, which leads me to believe it might be a Windows update causing it, but as for which one, I'm not sure.

AWR try uninstalling KB3055034 from windows updates.  I found an article that this is causing similar issues.  I have done it on two of my machines, so it will take a few days to determine if that is the solution.

Bmiller,

To answer your other post, we do not have fingerprint readers on any of the machines that are affected. My machine is one that is affected by this issue and I searched for the KB3055034 update, but it does not seem to be installed on my computer. Have you had any luck on the two computers that you uninstalled that update from?

#8 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

No Luck so far.  I found 4 updates to uninstall and still no luck.  Do your users use "Box Sync" by box.com?

#9 AWR

AWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

No Luck so far.  I found 4 updates to uninstall and still no luck.  Do your users use "Box Sync" by box.com?

No, we do not use Box Sync. Thank you for the update so far, I will keep looking for a solution and will report back here if I find one.

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

AWR that does sound confusing mate LOL.

The ones on the domain shouldnt have this issue but somethign tells me this might be an issue where by default wednesday, Win7 starts doing maintenance tasks at 12 midnight from memory and could be removign the credentials.

#11 AWR

AWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

I just discovered that this issue is not limited to the Generic Credentials. It is also doing it to the Windows Credentials section of Credential Manager. We have a user who has a laptop and he takes it to three different offices to work out of each week. At one of those offices, they don't have network printers, just USB printers hooked to the main computer on site. So we have that main computer set up for printer sharing, and we have added those shared printers to this guy's laptop. Once we added the printers this way, an entry came up under Windows Credentials to the computer that was sharing the printers.

However, when the laptop reboots, the Credential Manager "forgets" the credentials to the Windows Credentials section, just like it does to the Generic Credentials section. This means he no longer has connection to the printers and the printers show up as "offline" in his devices and printers menu. They will not come back online until the Windows Credential is added back into the Credential Manager.

This is beyond frustrating - to have our users not only losing their SharePoint/Outlook credentials, but to be losing other computer credentials to maintain printer connectivity. We still have not found a solution and would be grateful if anyone else could help us figure out what's going on.

#12 JFarnsworth

JFarnsworth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

I started having the same symptoms on January 18th.  The only think changed on my computer is that Carbonite pushed down an update that was noticeable because it changed the system tray icon from a little green padlock to a glowing green ball.  Are any of you that are having this problem running Carbonite?

I've narrowed the problem down to rebooting and waiting more than 16 minutes to log back in.  If I stay logged in all day, my credentials stay.  If I reboot, then if I log back in within 15 minutes, my credentials stay.  Wait to login longer than that and they're gone.  This leads me to believe that something that's a "service" or in the msconfig startup is causing the issue.  Haven't been able to track it down beyond that.

Please reply if you've identify any possible causes.  Thanx.

#13 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Actually... yes, I believe the problem is with Carbonite.  I had three users on carbonite with this issue.  Then when one users was losing credentials with outlook and box sync, I wiped her computer and reinstalled everything except Carbonite.  Then all was fine.  Then about 1 month later, I reinstalled carbonite on her computer, and about 3 weeks later she started having log on issues again.

#14 AWR

AWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

JFarnsworth & bmiller1: You guys are definitely onto something here! I went back over my list of users that have this problem and 97% of them have Carbonite installed on their computers. As for the ones who don't have Carbonite, there may be another program that is interfering with their credential manager, just like Carbonite is probably doing to the ones that do have it installed. I will have to investigate to see what is on those other computers that could be causing it.

As for the Carbonite computers, I'm going to send an e-mail to Carbonite's tech support and see if they are aware of this issue. Hopefully they can push out an update that will fix this headache of a problem!

Thank you both so much for replying with your findings. I probably never would have guessed it was Carbonite that was causing this. For testing purposes on my end, I will also be uninstalling Carbonite from my computer for a few weeks just to see if the issue stops. I'll report back here with my findings, and hopefully with a response from Carbonite support.

#15 bmiller1

bmiller1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Agree... I was starting to pin point it down to Carbonite... but wasn't 100% sure that was the issue.  I stopped backing up those credential folders and all folders in Appdata but that doesn't seem to help.  I am glad Farnsworth mentioned it and confirmed this is probably the problem.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users