Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer will not run - Windows Updates will not apply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Headley

Robert Headley

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

I had changed the system variables in order to change the default install drive. My C drive is an SSD and I didn't want Adobe hashing up my SSD if it wasn't necessary. Everything seemed to be working well, but windows update will not apply updates and internet explorer (and some other) software will not run. Possibly due to the system variables, but I am unsure what to change or if that is even at fault.
Attached File  Screenshot - 10_14_2015 , 3_51_38 PM.png   37.55KB   1 downloads

Here are my environment variables

Attached File  Screenshot - 10_14_2015 , 3_52_35 PM.png   27.61KB   1 downloads

Here are my registry settings for the program files folder. I changed it from C to E.

Attached File  Screenshot - 10_14_2015 , 3_53_14 PM.png   378.3KB   0 downloads

I appreciate any help that you can provide. I need to be able to update, and IE has to be used occasionally. (I exclusively use chrome so I hadn't really noticed that IE wasn't working.)

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

Windows repairs (All in One) Pro has a section that can restore default system environmental variables, sometimes even fix IE.  If nogo with the Pro, then either await for the BC techs to advise you, or, dig up your OS partition backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Robert Headley

Robert Headley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the Tweaking repair free, which has the environment variables repair, I also ran its Internet Explorer repair, but I still can not load Internet explorer. I am pretty sure whatever is preventing internet explorer from running is what is preventing windows update from working. I am not going to try to get windows update to run again, until I fix Internet explorer yes to save wear and tear on my hard drive.

I am also unable to access web dialogs. For example, I can not view error details in windows which would normally run in windows explorer or help. I also couldn't run similar dialogs in tweaking. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

I'm running Windows 7 Pro with IE 11 over here, so far, aok, for now.  What version do you have?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Robert Headley

Robert Headley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

Windows 10 64 bit. Windows 11.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

I'm not sure if rolling your IE 11 back to IE 10 will help.  This might sound really strange:  do you have another computer with a working IE 11?  If so, sneaker net the following directories from your Safe Mode good computer over to your Safe Mode busted IE 11 computer.  After that, reRun Windows Repairs (All in One).  Half the time, after a couple of restarts, IE 11 was working again, all I had to do was reTweak the menu toolbar, etc.  The other half of the time -- a lot more steps, many restarts - to finally coax IE 11 into working.

AppData Local Microsoft ie [C]
AppData LocalLow Microsoft ie [C]
AppData Roaming Microsoft ie [C]
Favorites [user Favorites] [C]
ProgramFiles[64] ie [C]
ProgramFiles86 ie [C]      

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#7 Robert Headley

Robert Headley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Ok, I reverted my system variable and registry changes and IE is loading now, but the "support info" link on the windows update errors isn't working. I am going to try to update now, and see if that works. 

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

"...support info" link on the windows update errors...

I'm dumb as a newly planted fence post today, what is that?

#9 Robert Headley

Robert Headley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Ok. I got the updates to install after reverting my system variables. The only thing that isn't working is support info. Nothing happens when I click. I included a screenshot. 

Attached File  Screenshot - 10_14_2015 , 6_51_14 PM.png   417.08KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users