Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Retail Version Purchased from eBay

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'm in the process of building a new computer and I want to use Windows 7 64-bit as the OS. I just purchased what was claimed to be a retail version of the software from eBay. It came with one installation disk for the 32-bit OS and one installation disk for the 64-bit OS. It also has a product key but it did not come with retail packaging.

When I look at the disks, there in only a copyright of 2009 with no mention as to whether it is Service Pack 1. If it is pre-Service Pack 1, will I have to purchase SP1, or will I receive it along with all of the other Updates that Microsoft is going to send me to bring the OS up to the latest level?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

How to get SP1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

or: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'm assuming that I will first need to install the Windows 7 OS from the installation disks and then request the SP1 download. Am I correct?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

[I missread the question]

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2015 - 05:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

No, that's not correct...you can download SP1 as a standalone item and install it from your desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

After installing SP1 (if necessary), you then need to go to Windows Update for all critical updates issued post-SP1.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

Louis,

So if I understand you correctly, I don't need to install the OS from the disk that I have. I just download the SP1 package and install it. I assume that I will still need the Product Key that came with the disks that I just bought to prove that I have, indeed, purchased a legal copy of Windows 7.

Keeping in mind that this is a new installation on a newly built computer that had no OS on it when I put it together, I'm not sure how I would download the SP1 package to the new machine without having some kind of OS and web software running on it. I suppose I could download a copy of SP1 using my old computer and copy it to a disk and then use that disk to install Windows 7 on the new computer. Is this what you had in mind?

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 14 October 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

You don't need a windows key to download the SP1. You can download it using your older computer, save it & have it ready to install after you install windows 7. Assuming of course that the copy of Win 7 you have lacks SP1.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

:thumbup2: , exactly what Saw101 said.

Louis

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Just for additional information and requirements also https://www.winhelp.us/install-service-packs-in-windows-vista-and-7.html

Both Windows Vista and 7 have a long list of required software that must be installed before a Service Pack can be downloaded and applied. Therefore it is neccessary to install all available important updates first.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users