Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Problems ASUS Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

Been having power issues with an ASUS K53E laptop. It keeps loosing power when conncted to the mains without warning, Its battery is also failing so running on battery alone is not an option. I am wondering if the battery is causing the mains power problem or if there is another problem, say a fault with the power connector or internal power supply. the mains lead has been checked and is OK. I need to know whether it is worth getting a new battery or even if it is worht perseverring with the machine at all. it is 4.5 years old.

To expand: The battery started to fail first but for a while this could be over come by just running the PC on mains power, Now the mains power is having problems as well the machine has become virtualy unusable.

The machine recently had a problem with Windows after Upgrading to 10 it stopped booting to Windows and needed a clean reinstall back to 7. This has worked fine and power aside the PC is running fine software wise. However could power problems cause problems with the OS? Would repeated 'power cuts' cause Windows to become corrupted in some way? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

What happens if laptop runs, without the battery attached, on AC only?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

This is a very very common problem with many Asus laptops actually ,  most say it's a clear manufacturing defect which Asus has and continues to do nothing about .

My Asus laptop suffers from the exact same thing and if you "google" Asus laptop power issues you will be shocked just how many complaints and computer forums talk about this .

One forum has 5+ pages of complaints the same as yours on your exact K53E model , i have an Asus U56e and same thing .  Unfortunately the DC in port is soldered to the motherboard so it's more complicated than it should be to fix.

Another depressing fact is that most who have repaired this issue say it will only malfunction again a few months down the line , repairs seem to not last long and it's why most claim it's a manufacturing issue and not just wear and tear .

Issues usually don't show until well after the one year warranty expires .

Edited by herbman, 14 October 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

What happens if laptop runs, without the battery attached, on AC only?

Haven't tried, didn't think it was safe to run without the battery fitted?

#5 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

It's perfectly safe , i run laptops on AC power all the time .  Many times when i plug in AC power my laptop doesn't recognize it , sometimes it does but it's hit or miss.

First thing to test of course is your AC adapter , if thats OK check the DC in port and if it's loose or not .

The below is some troubleshooting tips:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/category/dc-jack/ 

Here is info on your issue:

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/84126-35-asus-k53e-charging-port-issue

Edited by herbman, 14 October 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:17 AM

Thanks. So I could try it fine without the battery fitted with no danger, if only to test the mains power?

#7 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

Thanks. So I could try it fine without the battery fitted with no danger, if only to test the mains power?

Laptops can run on AC power indefinitely just like desktops ,  you do not need to use a battery at all actually ,  the battery is an option and great when no other plug in source is around .

It is wise to keep the battery from draining too low and keep it topped off over time but you certainly do not have to have it installed , some laptops haven't had the battery installed in many months and the laptop functions perfectly .

A laptop can be run without issue for as long as you want on just AC power , battery only power or battery and AC power at the same time , makes no difference , all scenarios will do no harm to your computer. 

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

I figure if the laptop runs great with the AC power brick only -- we have eliminated suspects from the wall outlet up to the connection where the AC brick connects to the laptop.  Then, we have to troubleshoot from that connection, to the MB, to the battery, and so on...

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

Yup, Roland is absolutely right .

#10 Descontento

Descontento

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Use a surge protector always.  Batteries tend to smooth out the power supply somewhat. 

Are you sure it is power loss.  My U56e suffered form a random reboot condition which caused an abrupt shutdown and restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users