Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Reliable Make of Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

A relatives   ASUS laptop has just 'died' and a replacement is required. I have been asked to help choose a new one. Are we best going for the same make again or go for a different make. How do ASUS laptops compare these days to other makes in terms of reliablity?

I generaly have no isues with ASUS machines, the current one was just worn out.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Both PC-World and Comsumer Reports have side-by-side comparisons/contrasts between different laptops.  A good replacement is going to depend upon what are they going to be mostly doing on a new laptop.  What do they see themselves, in the future, mostly doing on a new laptop?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

That was a quick reply! Thanks

laptop would mostly be used for 'everyday' computing, ie internet browsing, the occasional streamed video and so on. Nothing high power. Dont even really need a big HDD, just a decent processor and RAM. 

I have/will look elsewhere for ideas but i just wanted to get a few opinions here to narrow the field a bit.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

Are you close to a business-oriented computer store?  Or, something like we have over here:  Frys?

Reason for asking:  you can walk around, look at laptops galore, ask a bunch of questions, collect some ideas before you finally buy.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2015 - 01:26 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

Are you close to a business-oriented computer store?  Or, something like we have over here:  Frys?
Reason for asking:  you can walk around, look at laptops galore, ask a bunch of questions, collect some ideas before you finally buy.

Planning to do so tomorrow. Like I said, just trying to get some ideas first.

How do you rate ASUS laptops? In comparison say, to ACER Laptops?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Dunno, I have two Acers, never had Asus -- heard very good things about both  :)

#7 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:28 AM

We have had 3 ASUS laptops in the family. The first was fine but the HDD failed within 3 years - since replaced HDD and working fine 3 years on if a bit outdated spec now.

Second ASUS, replacement for first, 3 years old and so far no problems, although fan is now running a lot more than it used to.

Third ASUS, the one that's recently gone wrong, is 4 years old but the battery started to fail after 3, and now has mains power problems (see seperate thread on this).

So on balance I am not sure about the long term reliability of ASUS laptops. That said the specs and build quality of ASUS is pretty good compared to some other brands.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

I read a recent report (a UK consumer survey) that Apple is the most reliable brand, with Toshiba and Fujitsu also coming in above average.  Acer, Asus, HP, Dell seemed to be about as reliable as each other.

A large company I used to work for bought everything IBM and IBM Thinkpad's used to have a reputation as being built like tanks.  That doesn't seem to have carried across to Lenovo's laptops (they bought IBM's PC division) being any more reliable than average, though.

This is another one, that came to broadly the same conclusion - http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/are-you-using-the-most-reliable-laptop/index.htm

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 babyruth

babyruth

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

I have had many computers and the most reliable and durable one I've been able to get, (although I'm having 1 or 2 problems now, but I got this computer back in 2011) is my samsung rv515. I've droped it, feel asleep on it, my brother stepped on it, and I even accidently droped it on the usb port with something in it and the thing broke, but the usb port still works just fine.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

"You never got fired for buying IBM."  -- 1960-1990+[?]

#11 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

Depending on how long you like to keep computers & how much DIY you are prepared to do on them - you may want to buy one that the manufacturer supplies a downloadable repair manual for. In my (limited) experience HP do provide these (at least for the 2 HP machines I've had) & Toshiba don't supply any. So when I've had a Toshiba to repair I've had to rely on YouTube videos for disassembly instructions which I do not find very satisfactory. (It's also much easier to find replacement parts when you have a full parts list).

I have no idea on the policies of other manufacturers, but it may be worth having a look at their support sites for any machine you are considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users