Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft drops the ball: Access 2016 not included in Office 365

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

Microsoft believes we are living in a mobile first, cloud first world, which sounds good, I guess, but what does that really mean in a practical business setting? The answer may surprise you, especially if you rely on Microsoft Access and you fail to choose your Office 365 subscription very carefully.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

I remember MS dropping Access out of Office 97 and beyond.  John, thanks for the heads-up!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

I remember that there are editions of Office that do not include either MS Access or MS Project...which were included in the very first edition of Office which I worked with in the Army.  That was 1995 :).

Louis

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

I have never used an edition of MS Office that had MS Project in it. I thought that was a separate entity.

I thought MS getting rid of Access was because nobody used it anymore. Apparently, a lot of people still do. Is it because they are stubborn users or is it because Access is actually "good"?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

MS will be happy to sell you a license for Access, apart from the license you pay for the Office Sour-- I mean Suite.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:57 AM

Weird that it is included in the Personal and Home subscriptions but not the business packages.  Access is very much a business application.  I suppose most database users don't need to design and edit them, just enter data, run queries etc. and in that scenario Access runtime (free) would do the job.  They haven't released a 2016 version of that yet though.

I thought MS getting rid of Access was because nobody used it anymore. Apparently, a lot of people still do. Is it because they are stubborn users or is it because Access is actually "good"?

I think it's quite widely used in businesses. They may be quite complex, professionally designed databases which would presumably involve a lot of time and money to re-develop for something else.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users