Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Change Boot Order in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ssalih

ssalih

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559747/bios-changing-boot-order/#entry3841096 - Hamluis.

Hello

I have problem of could not change boot order to DVD on windows 7 my laptop is Dell inspiron 15R

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 10:05 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

Please do the following.  This will provide me with the name of the BIOS manufacturer and its version.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

dc3, if OP's computer is similar to mine concerning BIOS, OP might have to have a DVD [anything readable] in the cd-dvd drive before BIOS will allow a change.  With material in the internal and/or external dc-dvd drives - I can change my BIOS order.

Addendum: I had to convert desktop from UEFI into Legacy/BIOS, and that left me with that scenario.  I'm also talking about USB boot devices along with aforementioned cd-dvd devices.  My laptops don't have this problem; however, my desktop has Option 1, Option 2, Option 3 under the boot order section.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2015 - 12:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

I have never run into that scenario.  Ever.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ssalih

ssalih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QNCQQgJfj2PAAeEXpu1oift

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

It's not common, but it gave me a little head scratching first time I ran into it. Of course if you always have the habit of having the CD/DVD in the drive as you set the boot order, you don't discover if a board has that behavior.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

It's not common, but it gave me a little head scratching first time I ran into it. Of course if you always have the habit of having the CD/DVD in the drive as you set the boot order, you don't discover if a board has that behavior.

Since I don't allow discs to remain in the optical drive I see why I've never personally experienced this.  This is a new twist I hadn't heard of before.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

I think only some of the odder proprietary brands did it, no idea why they thought it would be a good idea.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

Ssalih

Boot into the BIOS and go to the Advance Boot Settings to change the boot order.

At the bottom of the BIOS page there will be instructions for making changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users