Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 System Restore error (0x80070005)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

trying to do a system restore to a previous point but i keep getting this error. any help would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Hello Arturo,

Would you mind providing some information about your computer and any anti-virus software that is installed on it?

Please publish a Snapshot using Speccy - the instructions are here, and post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Thank you,

packetanalyzer

#3 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JY5dKTAYQq7p4aq320fEokX

here you go and thank you for your help

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

Thank you Arturo.

So here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. It is not novel for Windows System Restore to fail if Anti-Virus (other than Microsoft Security Essentials) is enabled
  2. There have been cases where disabling User Authentication Control fixed error 0x8007005
  3. In certain situations you will need to boot into safe mode to perform a system restore

Let's start with the simplest possible solution and continue until we find an answer for you. Please follow the directions in order and if you have any questions ask before you continue.

Disable Windows User Authentication Control (UAC)

1. Click the Start Button
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Type UAC in the search box
  4. Click Change User Account Control settings
  5. Move the slider to Never notify

Perform a system restore

1. Click the Start Button
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System and Security
  4. Click System
  5. Click System Protection
  6. Click System Restore
  7. Select your restore point (if you use Recommended Restore it wil use the most recent system restore point)
  8. Click Next
  9. Click Finish
  10. Click Yes

Post here if the system restore was successful. If it was not, we are going to temporarily disable your Anti-Virus software and try the System Restore again.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 14 October 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#5 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

sorry to say it did not work. i tried again with disabling my AV and still did not work

#6 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

good news, i tried again in SAFE MODE and this time it worked. guess ill be doing it in SAFE MODE from now on. thank you so much. 

While i have you here, can i ask about creating a system image? i tried and failed on tha as well. this is the message i get:

"there is not enough space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location"... error (0x80780119)

yes there is. im trying to put it on a 500gb drive

#7 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

I'm glad you go it working. Doing the System Restore in Safe Mode was the next method. Since System Restore works in Safe Mode but not normal mode, that indicates there may be a service that is running that is keeping the computer from performing a System Restore that is not running when you boot the computer in Safe Mode. If you would like to continue troubleshooting the cause of the problem, please let me know. If you are satisfied with performing a System Restore in Safe Mode, please let me know so I know your problem is resolved.

As for system images the message that there is not enough space on the destination OR on the source drive. I know that isn't what the first sentence says, and that is really confusing but the reason you have that error is related to how system imaging works with the Windows Backup tool.

When you do a system image, Windows needs each volume to have a certain amount of free space. This is the case for the source and the destination of the system image.

I see that you have multiple hard drives on your computer. I read through your Speccy post and it doesn't look like you have a System Reserved partition, but I want to make sure I am reading the report properly. Would you mind posting a screenshot of disk management?

1. Click Start
  2. Type diskmgmt.msc
  3. Post a screenshot of the window

Edited by packetanalyzer, 14 October 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#8 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

Attached File  Disk Management Screenshot.jpg   66.32KB   0 downloads

yes if you can please direct to which service needs to be disabled to not have to do it in SAFE MODE that would be great. 

here is the screenshot 

#9 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

here a better one with the columns extended to read it better.

isn't the SYSTEM RECOVERY partition supposed to have "stripes" lol ?

Attached Files

#10 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

You're on the right track. The problem is your recovery partition. I assume that when you are doing a system image you are selecting both your recovery drive and your system drive? Here is the issue. Windows says that you there must be a certain amount of free space on each source drive you are imaging and for the destination. The reason you have to have free space on the source drives has to do with how Windows uses Volume Shadow Copies to perform the image (the source has to have room for the Volume Shadow Copies to write as the image is made of all the drives you selected to image). Here are the requirements.1

For each drive less than 500MB capacity, the drive must have at least 50MB of free space.

For each drive greater than or equal to 500MB capacity, the drive must have at least 320MB of free space.

If you review the drives listed in disk management you see that you have a partition that is 35MB in size and it is completely full. If this drive is selected when you create an image, the image job will fail. You need to either unselect the drive when you create your system image or increase the size of the partition so it has a minimum of 50MB of free space so it will have room to write the Volume Shadow Copy when you make the system image.

#11 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

ok i see what you mean. i did try to extend the 35mb partition by right clicking on it and trying to select EXTEND VOLUME but its not letting me. how else can i extend that partition?

#12 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Failed System Restore

Some users are reporting that ESET 7 and ESET 8 (your Anti-Virus software) will not allow you to do a System Restore. This sounds like a program caused issue. I myself have had system images fail because of Anti-Virus software. When you temporarily disable your Anti-Virus software and then do a system restore, your computer reboots and ESET locks files that are necessary for System Restore to complete.

Here are links on the ESET forums about the known issue.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3345-windows-81-system-restore-fails-with-ess78/?p=19547

https://forum.eset.com/topic/4755-system-restore-fails/

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3345-windows-81-system-restore-fails-with-ess78/

Safe Mode looks like the safest answer.1 Some people suggest disabling ESET from running when the computer starts up. I wouldn't recommend this because the point of ESET running when the computer starts up is to protect your computer from viruses.

ESET is not the only Anti-Virus software dealing with System Restore or System Image issues lately. I have also seen Avast have similar problems.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 14 October 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#13 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

ok i see what you mean. i did try to extend the 35mb partition by right clicking on it and trying to select EXTEND VOLUME but its not letting me. how else can i extend that partition?

You have to have room to expand to right? So you need to shrink your C drive (by 100MB) and then expand the System Recovery drive by 100MB.

If you are a visual person, here is an article with some images.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 14 October 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#14 Arturo Lopez

Arturo Lopez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

ok shrunk C: by 100mb, tried to extend 35mb partion but extend volume is not an option. do i have to allocate the 100mb partition first?

Attached Files

#15 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

I apologize, I misread that. The 35MB partition is likely your Lenovo OEM partition not the recovery partition.

I see that your OEM partition is marked system. The ones I have seen often are not marked system, but when you do a System Image on the second screen (Which drives do you want to include in the backup?) is it listed? If it is listed can you uncheck the box next to it? If you can try that and see if the System Image will succeed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users