Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure to download updates & Error Code 80073712.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Krampjains

Krampjains

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit Operating System. My issue is that last night I received 8 important updates though Windows Update to install (Windows Update is set to download updates but let me choose when to install them). When I installed them, only 6 were installed. Two of them, Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3088195) and Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3097966), will not install. I have repeatedly tried to dl and install them through Windows Update and both of them fail, with "Error code 80073712".

When this batch of 8 updates showed up last night, I downloaded all of them and Windows Update only showed it was downloading 6 of them. These last two (KB3088195 & KB3097966) will not download. However, they sit in Windows Update as "2 important updates are available". Windows does not keep trying on its own to download them though, neither at shut down nor does it remind me that I have these 2 updates available to download. They just sit in Windows Update as  "2 important updates are available".

I have tried to figure this out for a few hours, but I am not the most computer savvy person. Help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Download and run the Windows Update Readiness Tool.

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Krampjains

Krampjains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Arachibutyrophobia,

Thanks for your response. I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Readiness Tool. That has not worked. This is what I get after running it:

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

Try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Krampjains

Krampjains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

Arachibutyrophobia,

I downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooter and ran it, as well as ran the Windows Update Readiness Tool again. I am still unable to download the two updates from before -- Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3088195) and Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3097966). I am still getting the error code 80073712.

Below are the attachments of the Windows Update Readiness Tool (sorry that I was unable to simply copy & paste the text):

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.png   58.49KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.png   56.4KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.png   46.44KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.png   49.67KB   0 downloads

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Let's do a Clean Boot and then see if you can download these last two updates.

1.  Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

2.  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

3.  Click on the General tab.   

4.  Click the Selective startup option. 

5.  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

6.Click on the Services tab. 

7.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

8.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer restart do the downloads.

After you have downloaded the updates go back to the System Configuration and revert the settings to the way they were.

#7 Krampjains

Krampjains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

Arachibutyrophobia,

Thank you for your help, time and patience. However, the clean boot didn't work. I am still getting the error code 80073712 with failure to update. I am very confused by this. Windows Update does not keep reminding me that I need to install these two updates, but if I check for updates, they are still listed as ready to be updated as "important updates". Last night, when I got all eight updates, Windows Updates told me it was downloading and installing six updates instead of eight. I have looked up information on these updates (KB3088195 and KB3097966) and can't find much information on them. Could it be that somehow they slipped through Windows Update and I don't need them and that is why they won't install? I know this is probably wishful thinking. 

I did find this on the internet: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/3097966

But, like I said, I am not too tech savvy, so I can't really understand it. Do you have any ideas? Hope I can get this solved!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

Do you have automatic updating turned on?

#9 Krampjains

Krampjains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:46 PM

I have my updates set to "Download updates but let me choose when to install them". I just received another update today for Windows Defender, and that update worked fine. When updates told me I had 3 new updates available (two being the ones we are discussing), I clicked OK and it said "Windows is downloading and installing one update", which was the new one I got today.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Please do the following.

How to reinstall the Windows Update Agent

The download you are going to make will need to be downloaded to either an external hdd or a flash drive, do not download this to the hdd containing you Windows operating system.  

You will need to know the drive letter for the device you are going to download this to.  To find what that letter is open the Start Menu and click on Computer.

You will need to set your browser to download to this drive.

Go to Microsoft Support and choose the download for your version of Windows.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then copy and paste D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce.  Then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.

D represents the drive letter of the drive which you downloaded the Window Update Agent to.  You will need to use that drive letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users