Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error. Tried everything

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Serotonin

Serotonin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

I can't get on any website on any browser and I'm getting this DNS lookup error in chrome (though I cannot access the internet at all on any other browser either). 

I have tried flushing the DNS, resetting the DNS server in services, what I can only describe as the "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4" thing and nothing so foar has worked.....

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Are you wired or wireless to your router?

Can you access your routers web page?

Can you ping google successfully?

#3 Serotonin

Serotonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

I have the issue with both wireless and ethernet connections and I cannot access Google at all. I can access the router web page.

Edited by Serotonin, 14 October 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

That would indicate the break in the connection is between your router and the internet.  Call your ISP and have them do a line and modem check.

#5 Serotonin

Serotonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

But other computers can access the internet fine so it is not likely to be a router issue.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

That info would have been helpful at the beginning :-)

Since it is both wired and wireless you need to make sure you are malware/virus free to start.  Once you have confirmed that review your firewall settings and any other "helpful" programs you may have installed.  You can use msconfig to disable these programs as you test.  I usually start out by disabling all startup programs [except antivirus] to see if I have full internet access again.  Then move on by adding one back at a time until things break again.  That usually narrows it down to what is causing the problem.

#7 Serotonin

Serotonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

I think it may be some kind of virus issue. since this started I can't run any anti malware program apart from windows defender, which seems to have helpfully removed a "virus." It turns out that doing so may have broken malwarebytes as my computer says that DNSAPI.dll is missing (it isn't).

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

visit the malware forum here to get cleaned up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users